Sound Designer/Senior Producer
Location: New York, New York
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Edit, mix, and score sound-rich daily podcast.Edit, mix, and score individual elements of the podcast (show opens, montages, etc)Work closely with producers and hosts on segment edits, within show scripts and within ProTools.Work directly with producers to assess and clean up poor audio using iZotope RXContribute to conversations about workflow improvements and standardizationSource and/or compose original music for podcastsAct as first line of defense in troubleshooting studio and Pro Tools workflow issuesHelp train and assist staff in studio procedures, Pro Tools operation, and field recording best practicesMaintain studios and help manage team audio software and plugin updates
The new NBC News/MSNBC podcast unit is seeking a sound designer/producer to work on an upcoming news and politics podcast. This person will work closely with podcast producers to create sound rich stories by helping them to think creatively about how to best use tape, music and ambient sound. This person will have strong editorial judgment and experience producing narrative audio journalism.
This is a chance to help create an “audio first” culture within a new and growing unit.
The Sound Designer must have top notch Pro Tools skills and an ability to creatively shape the ideas proposed by producers while adhering to the editorial standards of NBC News.
This person will also work with the executive producer of the upcoming news and politics podcast to shape the “sound” of the show. This includes ensuring high quality recordings, creating audio production workflows for show producers, sourcing music, sound design, scoring and mixing each episode.
● 4+ years experience as a podcast sound designer.
● 4+ years of journalism or editorial experience
● Technical expertise in ProTools and Apple computers
● Knowledge of studio and field recording equipment, as well as connection methods such as ISDN and Comrex connections
● Ability to work in a fast paced newsroom and adjust to breaking news and scheduling demands
● Organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to quickly, calmly and creatively troubleshoot complex issues under pressure
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through on projects to completion
● Excellent attention to detail, with good organization and time management skills
● Collaborative attitude and strong communication skills.
Please include a cover letter in your application.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.