- Full Time
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks a Washington correspondent. We take pride in our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender nonconforming to apply.
We’re looking for a talented writer and resourceful investigative reporter, an ambitious self-starter eager to break news and make a reputation. The successful candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced news environment and familiarity with The Nation and its coverage. The successful candidate should also:
· Be able to write quickly on a wide variety of topics, with a knowledge of fundamental issues and policy, not just political dynamics or horse-race coverage
· Have existing sources in Washington, particularly with elected officials on the left, or the ability to develop them
· Have a strong sense of the movements that impact politics and policy in DC
· Be able to write quick, fast web pieces as well as long-form magazine stories
· Be willing to work with editors and other Nation writers who have overlapping interests
· Be able to produce solid independent reporting that is not limited by partisan bias, but that does have moral clarity and a clear progressive perspective
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. The salary is commensurate with experience, and the benefits are excellent.
E-mail your cover letter and résumé. No phone calls or postal mail, please.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.