- Full Time
NerdWallet is looking for a full-time writer to join our Investing team.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a passion for topics that help people make informed investing decisions to grow their portfolio, fund their retirement, and improve their lifestyle. This writer should be able to translate complex information on topics such as stocks and mutual funds, 401(k)s, IRAs, brokerages, robo-advisors, and trends in the investment community into a conversational copy that engages our audience of both beginning and more-advanced investors.
While NerdWallet does not offer recommendations on specific stocks or investments, a familiarity with trading and the markets is desirable, as is the ability to interpret news events and trends in politics, economics and industry and write about how they may affect investors, whether they're saving for retirement or are more active in the market. Our work involves understanding complex topics and explaining them conversationally. Please include links to your work samples along with your cover letter and resume.
NerdWallet has been around since 2009, helping consumers make smart financial decisions. We cover consumer finance — banking, credit cards, education, health care, insurance, investing, mortgages, personal loans, shopping, small business — you name it. We have a content team of 70+ and we're growing.
Our staff writers and editors have worked at outlets such as ABC, Bloomberg, CNN, Dow Jones, ESPN, the LA Times, MarketWatch, MSN, MSN Money, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers who spent years as successful freelancers. What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We're adaptable. We're highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
- Write high-quality stories with a strong consumer-first orientation
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership through improved user experiences and search engine rankings
- Help editors grow and manage the NerdWallet library of pages
- Work with cross-functional partners to increase NerdWallet's audience
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons
- Offer suggestions for new approaches to content
- Help inform NerdWallet's product experiences
- Cultivate a deep understanding of NerdWallet's business model and its competitive space
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity (We're a successful startup that will continue to grow and innovate aggressively.)
- A strong work ethic
- A strong command of language
- Attention to detail
- The ability to work well on your own, as well as in a team setting
- The ability to juggle multiple projects
- 2+ years as a personal finance or investing writer. Experience covering hard news also may be considered.
- 2+ years journalism experience in a daily deadline environment
- An understanding of SEO best practices or an interest in learning
- Experience with web analytics, or a strong willingness to learn
- CMS-savvy (Wordpress experience preferred)
- Familiar with AP style
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner, and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.