Assistant Editor, Adult Editorial
- Full Time
SUMMARY: The Assistant Editor will provide editorial and administrative support to the Executive Editor and the Adult Editorial team. They will develop and manage a growing licensed publishing program. The successful candidate must have a serious interest in and knowledge of both pop culture and illustrated non-fiction books.
- Editorial tasks include: copyediting, proofreading, collating galleys, creating P&L’s, and requesting and managing contracts
- Draft fact sheet, catalogue, and flap copy for books
- Act as lead editor/project manager for select titles each season
- Assess proposals; assist with research and development for new projects
- Clerical tasks include: taking minutes at meetings, maintaining schedules and databases, making copies, sending packages, routing internal mail, etc.
- Work in conjunction with Publisher and Executive Editor to help identify future licensing acquisitions/partnerships, ideally developing, acquiring, or co-acquiring 2-4 titles/year
- Assist in managing and developing select licensed brands/projects, including Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel, Warner Bros., Nickelodeon, and Hasbro, among others
- Minimum of 2-4 years editorial experience in trade book publishing and/or product
- Desire and ability to work in an environment where creativity, innovative thinking, and an excellent work ethic are highly valued
- A passion for and knowledge of pop culture is a must
- Current knowledge of the illustrated non-fiction entertainment book market, and an ability to identify opportunities
- Excellent grammar, spelling, copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong communication and writing skills
- Must be highly organized, energetic and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to create and maintain simple databases.
- Bachelor’s degree