Deputy Editor, New Women's Publication
- Full Time
Medium is rapidly growing its editorial team. We are launching a new publication geared toward women of color that will provide thought-provoking, nuanced content about this community’s lived experiences. Content will range from reported pieces and personal essays to opinion pieces and Q&A.
We are looking for a critical, high-level addition to the editorial staff, a deputy editor who will focus on daily, weekly and monthly story planning and commissioning, and on the development of the editorial calendar. The deputy editor will assign first-run features, essays and reported articles and work closely with management on strategy and execution. She or he should have excellent taste, a record of bringing in provocative articles by exemplary writers, and the initiative to seek out undiscovered and emerging voices. This person will also be a master at juggling various commissioned assignments at the same time.
Finally, this will be someone who has an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment when it comes to commissioning broad-interest and niche content that people want to read.
What will you do?
- You will collaborate alongside leadership on the execution of Medium’s editorial strategy and budget
- You'll assign engaging articles for Medium every week
- You will bring in established writers while also identifying emerging writers who should be writing for Medium
- You'll help to inform, establish, and execute the Medium editorial calendar
- You'll bring new ideas to work every single day, and to every story-planning meeting
- You'll liaise with design on the visual execution of all special projects
- You'll connect with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- You'll collaborate with the editorial, product, communications and marketing departments on the merchandising and promotion of engaging content
- You'll work with leadership across departments to make Medium better
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in the field of journalism
- You have led a team and have a record for staff development and retention
- You are a curious reader with excellent taste and a discerning mindset
- You're outstanding at display-copy and understand how to use every element to frame a story for maximum reader engagement
- You have a stable of writers but ability to identify and solicit undiscovered writers who are not yet known
- You have an editorial sensibility as well as an interest in working closely with other departments
- Your communication style is straightforward and effective
- You believe that good ideas can come from anywhere
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York
At Medium, we celebrate uniqueness in an encouraging, fun yet rigorous team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a dynamic variety of backgrounds and respect the democratic expression of diverse opinions. We support experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Take a look at us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.