- Full Time
Oxford University Press seeks a Designer to help manage the exciting challenges of text designs in a wonderfully rich Academic publishing environment.
You > Love Print Design! Have a thirst to understand and tame text page designs while keeping in consideration ePub needs. You excel at creating order and solving text-layout challenges over a variety of genres. You have a love for typography, text layout, and appreciate the delicate balance between content and design. You are an InDesign pro, have passion, and can fully utilize this amazing tool to help you create masterpieces of design AND production. You enjoy working as part of a creative team and have the ability to standardize style sheets and create clean, accessible application files. You are a creative, proactive, independent problem-solver, with the ability to work with limited direction from the Art Director. Us > We are a small and highly creative Design team. Our projects are extremely diverse. One day it’s teaching freshman about Ecology, the next it’s The Iliad. We are nimble and flexible, with the ability to handle multiple complex design projects simultaneously. We’ve taken time to create an environment that is streamlined in it’s processes and workflow in order spend quality time on creative work.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Designing original text designs, as well as modifying pre-existing files and templates.
- Creating style sheets and text/interior design templates in Indesign
- Keeping up with Design , Production and Manufacturing Industry standards to maintain the most efficient and high quality design files.
- Assessing compositor/text layout vendor needs.
- Communicating with Suppliers and Freelancers and providing guidance and feedback.
- Managing workflow and schedules, keeping projects within budget and deadlines.
- Reviewing and Standardizing current and future workflows
- Assessing and reporting on issues and solutions
- Acting as contact for XML workflow requirements and Tagging for ePub creation
- Working collaboratively within a design team, attending OUP Global Design Team meetings.
• Design degree (BA), or equivalent
• 3+ years professional design experience, in text/interior design a plus!
• Excellent written and verbal skills • Thorough knowledge of all Adobe Creative Suite Applications
• Expert understanding of Indesign, and Style sheets • Some Microsoft office, Quark, and FileMaker Pro.
• Knowledge of XML coding a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.