- Full Time
The buyer is responsible for merchandise selection, creative vision, planning and product management in our retail stores and online.
• Deliver department financials. Accountable for achieving sales and margin goals. Provide ongoing analysis based on sales performance, competitive shopping and market trends. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in open to buy management, receipt flow and end of lifecycle markdowns to hit turn and gross margin goals.
• Reviews assortments for balance of core basics as well as key promotional product throughout the year. Balance both to keep a fresh mix of product in front of the guest.
• Nurture key vendor partnerships to execute department strategies. Leverage vendors to attain quality, value right product for the guest.
• Collaborate with merchandise planning and allocation to maximize sales opportunity, tier allocations, execute seasonal set-ups and mitigate risks at the class and category levels.
• Strategically partner with internal cross functional teams in marketing, visual, store operations to bring assortments to life in stores and online.
• Engages teammates. Encourages the team to examine current practices in order to streamline processes and manage the business more effectively.
• Train and develop assistant buyer.
• Thorough knowledge of all aspects of product selection and execution.
• Extensive vendor management experience. Strong negotiation and relationship building skills.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• A minimum of 4-6 years retail buying experience
• Bachelor's Degree
• Proficiency in all Microsoft applications.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Contact (800) 799-5335.