Digital Marketing Email Specialist, Digital Marketing Initiatives
- Full Time
Reporting to the Associate Director, Digital Platform Strategy, the Digital Marketing Email Specialist will manage the planning, creation, and execution of alumni relations emails for several schools and programs of Columbia University using the Salesforce Marketing Cloud platform. The Specialist will be working closely with many partners around OAD, strategizing around appropriate content and audiences, acting as a curator and editor, and ultimately be responsible for coordinating and delivering on multiple email projects at any given time.
This role reports into the Digital Marketing Initiatives unit within the Office of Alumni and Development (OAD). The team seeks to implement a unified strategy that focuses on both increasing alumni engagement scores and increasing donor count/retention. The unit oversees broad-based alumni and development communications across multiple channels, online programming and engagement, and is a leader in implementing and using enterprise-level technology shared across the organization. The goals of the unit include offering and conveying value, benefits, and opportunities to alumni, creating a holistic communication strategy around development and engagement, and also to foster a culture of impact that benefits the University and its alumni.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Write, curate, and edit compelling copy in multiple styles on a variety of topics covering events, initiatives, cultural happenings, and alumni accomplishments across several Columbia schools with the goal of digital/online audience engagement and conversion.
- Manage email outreach for school partners from ideation to execution including design, copywriting, and deployment
- Develop & implement test & learn email strategy to optimize on clicks/opens/conversions. Implements email campaigns through the Salesforce Marketing Cloud platform.
- Support email strategy by utilizing analytics, timing, posting, monitoring best practices, and executing A/B testing and segmentation tests.
- Participate in and contribute to internal email marketing best practice sharing meetings
- Edit materials to ensure adherence to the internal style guides and comprehensibility
- Serve as a Salesforce Marketing Cloud platform expert and strategically segment audiences and implement email automation and journey campaign tools for multiple school partners to increase efficiency and conversion effectiveness
- Prepare relevant email reports for monthly school/team meetings.
- Performs additional duties, and special projects as required.
- Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required, including a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in executing mass email marketing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required, specifically Excel.
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS required.
- Proficiency with basic image manipulation and graphic design experience with Adobe Photoshop/Creative Suite required. An interest and/or an eye for digital design a plus.
- Work experience in higher educational institution, or other complex organization, highly preferred.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter that is deadline-driven with a conscientious attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to juggle a large volume of changing information, projects, requests, and priorities.
- Facility with online tools and resources; interest in exploring and experimenting with new platforms; ability to learn quickly and be flexible when working in the digital space.
- Ability to work well with other units, volunteers, and colleagues; a genuinely collaborative personality.
- Must have a commitment to exceptional customer service and quality.
- Proactive in client management, ability to problem-solve, and work with diplomacy and efficiency in a high-demand, fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to handle confidential information with excellent judgment and discretion.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.