Digital Marketing Product Specialist, Digital Marketing Initiatives
- Full Time
Reporting to the Associate Director, Digital Platform Strategy, the Digital Marketing Product Specialist is an important member of the Digital Marketing Initiatives team within Columbia University’s Office of Alumni and Development (OAD).
The Digital Marketing Initiatives team seeks to implement a unified strategy that focuses on both increasing alumni engagement scores and increasing donor count/retention. The unit oversees broad-based alumni and development communications across multiple channels, online programming and engagement, and is a leader in implementing and using enterprise-level technology shared across the organization. The goals of the unit include offering and conveying value, benefits, and opportunities to alumni, creating a holistic communication strategy around development and engagement, and also to foster a culture of impact that benefits the University and its alumni.
The Digital Marketing Product Specialist will serve a pivotal role in cross-University initiatives around the platforms and tools supporting digital marketing for web and email. He or she will work with internal partners to help strategize around the technology, services, and vendors used throughout OAD, especially within the Salesforce suite of products. The role combines forward-thinking strategic planning with platform expertise and end-point email marketing execution.
The Digital Marketing Product Specialist serves as a project and product manager, business analyst, and vital part in managing opportunities for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and inter-departmental initiatives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Researching, learning, and onboarding new technology and digital tools.
- Identify areas where existing platforms and functionality can inform and impact web and email communications and programming.
- Set product direction and goals based on data and insights in collaboration with business leaders and stakeholders
- Stay on top of industry trends and best practices to continuously improve what we do and ensure a great customer experience
- Regularly audit current tools and platforms to ensure most efficient ongoing use of products.
- Serve as an expert around OAD’s use of Salesforce and Marketing Cloud suite.
- Organize and occasionally lead internal user group meetings for email marketers across OAD using Marketing Cloud.
- Participate in internal user group discussions and support Q&A and troubleshooting as needed.
- Create contact lists, pull reports, and finesse data as needed for use in email marketing through Excel and other tools.
- Initial research and vetting of new vendors and liaise internally with potential partners and contacts.
- Identify new and existing requirements from users around OAD tools and properties; recommend and implement improvements as advisable.
- Create documentation for current and new marketing tools used across OAD as needed.
- Demonstrate use-case scenarios and impact to internal stakeholders around use of technology platforms and online programs.
- Use metrics to determine a more unified UX (user experience) across OAD web and email properties.
- Occasionally create and execute mass email marketing for the Digital Marketing Initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent required including a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Minimum 1 year experience in mass email marketing or relevant email technology
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required, specifically Excel
- Knowledge of major email platforms or enterprise-level solutions (especially Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud experience is preferred
- History of collaborating with technical and business teams preferred.
- An interest and/or an eye for design a plus.
- 1-3 years’ experience in digital product management or a related field is preferred
- Relational database and SQL experience preferred
- Facility with online tools and resources; interest in exploring and experimenting with new platforms; ability to learn quickly and be flexible when working in the digital space.
- Ability to create polished reports that use metrics to tell the story of impact.
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Self-starter with an eye for detail and the ability to juggle a large volume of information in a fast-paced environment, and a sense of strategic planning.
- Ability to work well with other units, volunteers, and colleagues; a genuinely collaborative personality.
- Ability to set priorities, exercise excellent judgment, and work with diplomacy and discretion in a highly pressured environment.
- Marketing experience (especially web/email)
- Write/edit proposals and summarize goals into concept notes
- Passion for discovering and learning new technology / coming up with creative solutions
- Innovative, forward thinker
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.