Sr. Product Marketing Manager- Supplemental Literacy
- Full Time
The Senior Product Marketing Manager for English Language Arts: Supplemental informs and executes on the go-to-market strategy for and ongoing promotion of select HMH Literacy solutions. These all reside within the Supplemental, Intervention, and Services (SIS) arm of HMH, with a connection to cross-promotion with Core basal programs. This position also manages cross-channel support through Sales channels and marketing campaigns, with a strong focus on balanced literacy classroom solutions. Together, the efforts holistically will leverage the market's demand for engaging, targeted, and pedagogically sound programs that are proven to impact student progress, while providing teachers with manageable programs that free them to focus on their students.
HMH employees in this role ideally have a history of or dedicated interest in advancing student growth. This candidate demonstrates a track record of success with leveraging their passion and commitment to planning and implementing successful marketing strategies that reflect market trends and capture market share. A leader by nature, the candidate will exude the daily energy and optimism needed to navigate this market segment in today’s highly complex, challenging, and competitive education market.
The Senior Product Marketing Manager works with the Director and cross-functional teams (Sales, Product Management, Core Product Marketing, Customer Success, PPC/Reseller, Learning Architecture, Production, Product Development, Creative) to conceptualize and then execute the go-to-market strategy for these programs and campaigns, including existing and new programs in the product development pipeline. Conceptualizing campaigns, implementing plans, tracking and monitoring project progress via roadmaps and data, and flexibly course-correcting as needed is central to this role. Possessing ongoing interest and passion for the teaching and learning journey, as well as current marketing and/or sales experience with leveled readers, classroom libraries, and other balanced literacy classroom solutions is also essential in this role.
The Sr. Product Marketing Manager will need to continually study a wide range of sources (technical education journals, industry research reports, education policy initiatives, state standards, classroom visits, educator networks) in order to tap into the pulse of the education market to drive relevant, compelling messaging targeted to specific market segments.
- Owns his/her programs, serving as their product marketing ambassador and driver to both internal (sales) and external customers, while helping to conceptualize and contribute to compelling, high-impact go-to-market strategies that are grounded in customer needs and the problems they are driven to solve.
- Supports and maintains innovative marketing campaigns to drive demand. Committed to using creative, customer-centric messaging to drive customer awareness and engagement with our programs across channels, including conferences, advertising, website, digital campaigns, social media, online and print collateral, and thought leadership content.
- Utilizes formal and informal professional development and associated tools to understand target audiences and KPIs that are intrinsic to strategic marketing practices.
- Uses and reports data to gauge effectiveness in order to make well-informed strategic and tactical decisions. ELA Supplemental products as a Subject Matter Expert when collaborating with or training cross-functional teams, especially Sales.
- Partners with Product Management & Strategy in responding to Sales’ needs. Works to connect marketing strategies to cross-discipline program opportunities when appropriate, implementing cohesive and consistent messaging that enhances programs' messages for cross-selling opportunities.
- Serves as a strategic and creative contributor to new program launch plans, and takes the lead in driving them forward.
Education & Experience:
- Requires BS/BA in related disciplines with 5+ years of related industry or functional experience.
- Preferred 7 years' experience, M.A. or M.Ed. Preferred experience in marketing balanced literacy classroom solutions (i.e. leveled readers, classroom libraries)
- At least 5 years' experience preferred as an educator focused on literacy, and/or at least five years' experience in educational or similar publishing, within marketing, sales, editorial, consulting, or product management roles.
- Should be adept at understanding and evaluating KPIs with an eye on the Sales’ goals that the team supports.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills, including the ability to persuasively present our literacy intervention programs to multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-starter: Driven to achieving goals, self-study of the programs, competition and marketplace; anticipates needs and takes ownership, exhibits deep understanding of the pedagogy, needs, and challenges faced by the literacy intervention marketplace (students, admins and educators), and is able to translate this understanding into customer-centric marketing strategies and deliverables.
- Independent thinker with leadership skills grounded in diplomatic communication and solid collaboration skills – able to lead or support as needed.
- Creative, a problem solver who is flexible and solutions-oriented; can juggle multiple projects and pivot quickly based on internal or external stakeholder needs.
- Preferred experience in creating and executing innovative marketing campaigns through multiple channels that drive demand, including print, digital, and educational.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint