Director of Internal Communications
- Full Time
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs, the Director of Internal Communications will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of employee communications strategies across HMH, with the goal of connecting the company’s 4,000 employees across 20 offices to its strategy, mission and culture. The ideal candidate will have experience driving successful employee communications in a matrixed and distributed corporate environment. Critical to success will be the ability to build and nurture effective working relationships with executive leaders of HMH’s lines of business and functions, as well as key partners across the business, particularly within Human Resources, IT and marketing.
The Director will lead and enable a small but talented team of communications professionals to do their best work every day, providing leadership and coaching, while also operating as an individual contributor. We are seeking an energetic people manager and an experienced communicator with a passion, talent and instinct for how to deliver information and engage employees in the most effective way. This person will collaborate closely with colleagues across HMH’s office locations and within the field, and will be based at the company’s Boston headquarters.
- Develop and manage the execution of a strategic plan for company-wide internal communications, including but not limited to corporate strategy, HR initiatives, employee benefits, and other organizational changes in support of HMH’s transformation.
- Work with the team to drive an integrated strategy that leverages all of HMH’s major communications channels, from HMH’s employee intranet, to email, digital signage, HMH’s enterprise social network, in-person events and more.
- Support HMH’s lines of business and corporate functions, providing regular and ongoing counsel to management on internal communications strategies. Identify creative opportunities for management to communicate with internal audiences.
- Create and implement ongoing strategic metrics, both qualitative and quantitative to measure success.
- Manage and empower direct reports, including coaching, career development, regular feedback and performance reviews, among other leadership responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be skilled at:
- Presenting often complex information in a clear and compelling manner. Must be creative, persuasive and diplomatic in presenting ideas and managing their implementation.
- Managing a high volume of communications initiatives simultaneously, meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Fostering a collaborative environment where the team takes informed risks, learns from their experiences, are highly accountable and have stretch opportunities for personal growth and development.
- Operating as a strategic business partner to the rest of the organization, providing valuable counsel, advice and appropriate pushback.
Additionally, the successful candidate will have/be:
- 8-10 years of experience in an internal communications role within a corporate or agency setting. Executive/leader communications experience is also preferred. Experience working with publicly traded companies and within education industry is a plus.
- A proven team player, who thrives in a collaborative setting and possesses confident management style and leadership ability; evidence of discretion and tact in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Strong understanding of and experience with internal communications platforms (e.g., intranet, email, enterprise social networks, in-person meetings and events, etc.)
- Strategic communications planner and a significant hands-on contributor, with superior writing and communications skills, and an eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels and proven collaborative project management skills.
- Proficiency in MSFT Office including PPT is required, skilled in Photoshop and design software, as well as SharePoint strongly preferred.
A Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism or a related field is preferred. An MBA or other advanced degree is highly desirable.