- Full Time
Atlas Obscura seeks a talented digital editor to join our growing team and develop original content for a lifestyle publication geared toward off-beat travel and exploration. Atlas Obscura's editorial work is defined by our pursuit of stories with deep connections to specific places. Our journalism often touches on history, science, geography—really any subject that’s filled with wonder and surprise, and has that strong sense of place. This associate editor will be an integral member of our editorial team, editing short daily articles and longer feature stories, and generally helping make sure that all of our editorial wheels are moving smoothly. The associate editor will also collaborate on a wide range of current and upcoming initiatives, including special packages, video series, trips and events, and more. This role will be based in our offices in Brooklyn, New York (sorry, we won't be able to consider remote applicants).
- Developing, assigning, and editing articles that distinguish Atlas Obscura’s journalism.
- Fielding pitches from freelance writers and seeking out new, diverse voices.
- Working closely with senior editorial staff on long-term planning.
- Working with and editing staff writers and editorial fellows.
- Helping manage editorial schedules.
- Other editing responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- A minimum of three years experience editing digital journalism.
- Outstanding instincts for what makes a great web story.
- Top-notch story editing skills, from pre-draft coaching to line edits.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder about the world in our audience.
You’ll Get Noticed If:
- You've got tons of great ideas.
- You're a quick study and don't let anything get by you.
- You have a bench of talented writers in your list of contacts.
- You have a sense of humor and work well with others.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
To apply, please email a résumé, cover letter, and three work samples (links or PDFs) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Associate Editor” at the beginning of the subject line.