Head of UGC
- Full Time
Atlas Obscura is looking for a senior-level digital strategist to lead our signature product, a user-generated database of more than 17,000 hidden or unusual Places and Foods around the world.
As the director of the database, the Head of UGC will be responsible for its overall strategic direction, as well as its day-to-day operation. You’ll set the agenda for a community and travel utility-focused approach, as well as manage a growing team of community managers, web producers, and digital editors.
This role will be based out of our offices in Brooklyn, NY (please note, we won't be able to consider remote candidates).
- Scaling Atlas Obscura’s database offerings, including the development of verticals beyond Places and Foods.
- Advocating for and championing the desires of our community-contributors.
- Advocating for and collaborating on design and functionality improvements.
- Managing the work of a growing team with a wide-ranging set of duties, which includes site user support, community management, and digital content creation.
- Ensuring Atlas Obscura is an exceptional online travel utility.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in any or all of the following: building online communities; the travel industry, including editing or product management for online travel guides or related reference works; product development; digital media.
- Leadership or management experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- A passion for off-beat travel and a deep curiosity about the world.
You’ll Get Noticed If:
- You have a demonstrated record of developing and implementing big-picture digital strategies.
- You have a demonstrated record as a hands-on leader, who pitches in at every level.
- You are yourself well-traveled.
- You have a sense of humor and work well with others.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include flexible time off, family leave, and contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
To apply, please email your résumé and a cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Head of UGC” in the subject line.