- Full Time
Happs News is seeking a creative and self-motivated associate producer to join our editorial team. The person who takes this role will have an exciting opportunity to help build and execute upon an editorial strategy for producing live news around the world for a young, digital audience. As an associate producer, you will be reporting to the executive producer. You will be expected to research, pitch, and produce multiple live streams a week from start to finish. Happs News is a startup and with that comes a lot of editorial freedom. We are constantly trying out new approaches and formats for producing live news. Anyone who joins our team must be highly creative and willing to try new ways of storytelling on a regular basis. There is no rule book for what we are doing. We have to create that rule book, and we will count heavily on whoever joins our team to be part of that process.
The ideal candidate will be a bit of a news junkie, have a passion for storytelling, be in tune with social media and what people are talking about, and have a knack for thinking ahead to what might be the next big event or topic that will be on everyone’s minds. We are looking for someone who has worked in digital media before and understands how best practices have evolved over time and where the industry is headed. Candidates should be able to work in fast-paced environment, be well-organized, have excellent people skills, and a positive can-do, team-oriented attitude. In a startup, we wear many hats, so being comfortable and flexible in that type of environment is an absolute must.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 clips of relevant projects you have worked on to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regularly pitch relevant stories that will appeal to a young, global audience and are delivering on Happs’ mission of being “The Network of Now”
- Produce five live streams a week from start to finish
- Source contributors from social media, journalism databases, and Happs community
- Maintain a calendar of upcoming events that Happs should cover
- Help form partnerships with organizations who already are live streaming events e.g. SpaceX, The Chester Zoo, etc.
- Occasionally produce and edit cutdowns of streams for social media
- Help manage a group of interns and their daily responsibilities
- Minimum 2 years production experience for a digital media company
- A passion for news, global events, and trending topics
- Ability to work independently and also with a tight-knit team
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines and a “startup” timetable
- A creative, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- An understanding of how to source social media for freelancers and news stories relevant to Happs
- The desire to work in a startup
- Basic Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
About Happs News:
Happs is a curated live-streaming platform for experiential journalism bringing viewers into the most exciting and interesting stories happening around the world - right now. In an era when young people have turned away from traditional news outlets and are seeking authentic sources, Happs puts the power in the hands of a new generation to create a revolutionary news experience, one that’s immediate, intimate and immersive.
Happs is co-founded by a team of news and startup innovators. Mark Goldman was the founding COO at Current TV and President & COO of Sky Latin America. David Neuman was the Chief Programing Officer at CNN and the President of Programming at both Channel One and Current TV. He is responsible for launching the careers of many news superstars including Anderson Cooper, Lisa Ling, and Jason Silva, among others. Drew Shepard was previously the co-founder and CEO of Revree, a founding executive at Reserve.com, and an Engineer at NASA / General Dynamics.