Role Summary: The assignment editor role is a key position in a multi-platform content environment, responsible for facilitating newsgathering and comprehensive coverage of news stories. Job Duties
- Develop and source interesting story ideas, using editorial judgment, coordinating interviews and logistics for field crews.
- Know what stories are being covered, who is covering and what platforms the story will air on.
- Maintain contact with law enforcement, fire and other agencies to determine coverage of spot news.
- Lead editorial meetings, contribute story ideas and responsible for developing and cultivating contacts important to news coverage in the San Diego area.
- Maintain accurate account of the day’s events in the Assignment Desk computer systems.
- Ability to search for user generated content
- Maintain an active Social Media presence.
- Route personal matters (i.e. sick calls, etc) to appropriate manager.
- Maintain responsibility for feed and live signal intake and supervise daily beat checks.
- Maintain or update news stories on various platforms including websites and social media.
Additional Job Requirements
- Minimum of two years experience as an Assignment Editor in a mid to major market.
- Must be technically competent, have the ability to learn and use newsroom systems as they develop, have proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- General knowledge of television news techniques, including how stories should be covered and assembled.
- Ability to multitask and make quick decisions under pressure.
- Experience with coordinating and pulling in satellite feeds and signals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong social media and multi-platform knowledge.
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in San Diego
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant job experience required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of state and federal court procedures.
- Familiarity with web-based research required
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well with people while under pressure.
- Upbeat personality and quick wit.
- Familiarity with local leaders a plus.
- Up to date on and interested in current news events
- Knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
- Personal initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Team player who is flexible
- Displays a positive work ethic and can work under tight deadlines
- High degree of integrity and professionalism
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.