UGA Beat Reporter III
- Full Time
JOB DUTIES:• Provide high-quality, unique and impactful in-depth stories for the printed newspaper and our web site, AJC.com.
• Collaborate with reporters and editors from our fan-based website, DawgNation.
• Use high-level research skills to ferret out information where others cannot.
• Exhibit proficiency in using Freedom of Information requests to obtain essential information not offered by school officials.
• Be highly skilled in source development.
• Generate short-term investigative stories off the news, longer-term enterprise and project-level work designed to create impact.
• Exhibit mastery of the highest quality of storytelling, mixing narrative elements and an authoritative voice to create must-read content that drives impact.
• Develop high-quality ideas and approaches to the most difficult of stories and turn those stories efficiently and effectively into engaging content.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a beat writer at a daily newspaper.
- Report and write with a strong sense of urgency, energy and tenacity. Demonstrates ability to break exclusive stories.
- Generates work that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating, where appropriate, a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact of judgment and should not include any issue of bias.
- Demonstrates strong judgment and clear ability to develop reader-focused and high-impact story ideas. Show clear understanding and ability to execute enterprise stories.
- Shows the ability to write with voice, authority and narrative elements to produce polished copy. Writes clearly with sophistication, absolute accuracy and balance, all while doing it on deadline and in a variety of technology tools and social media platforms.
- Displays depth as a reporter and capability of devising reporting methods to get at the difficult stories. Shows an ability to question team personnel and not take their word for granted but rather investigate and report.
- Has ability to juggle priorities and assignments to produce both short-term and project-level work.
- Collaborates effectively with others and is adept at sharing investigative skills.
- Communicate and work effectively with other sports journalists to give a complete picture.
- Uses time effectively, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work. Consistently meets deadlines set for print and digital needs, including advance deadlines.
- Engages editors on best ways to present stories on digital and print platforms.
- Has a clear understanding of libel law and able to recognize and flag potential legal issues that could expose the company to litigation over libel, invasion of privacy, copyright or other issues.
- Ability to easily cover University of Georgia events and activities and quickly arrive on campus when news breaks. Must have reliable transportation to get to/from events.
- Out of town travel is required: 20% of the time.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.