Senior Associate - Technology Communications Practice
- Full Time
Waxman Strategies, a progressive public affairs firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Senior Associate in our Technology Practice. As a Senior Associate, you will play a crucial role in running day-to-day PR programs and communications campaigns designed to launch and accelerate technology startups and products, and handle media relations around a broad array of technology issues and trends. As the Senior Associate, you will be a key part of our team, working closely with exciting, emerging tech brands which are helping solve some of today’s most challenging problems with smart and innovative solutions - including start-ups in clean tech, renewable energy, sustainability, smart cities, data privacy, AI, health tech and biotech/life sciences.
We are looking for a talented and highly organized Senior Associate who can think creatively, interface confidently with clients, build deep relationships with journalists and respond nimbly to breaking news and rapidly evolving campaign scenarios.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting a portfolio of clients, overseeing day-to-day activity on multiple client accounts, and ensuring deadlines and quality of work expectations are met;
- Acting as the primary contact with clients and actively participating in the success of client programs by developing and implementing integrated communications and PR strategies, plans and campaigns;
- Working closely with clients to develop effective messaging for targeted audiences, securing speaking engagements and other opportunities to position clients as thought leaders;
- Crafting materials, including press releases, fact sheets, presentations, and contributed content such as op-eds, bylines and blog posts;
- Cultivating strong industry relationships with media, analysts and other influencers;
- Pitching stories and monitoring/reacting to industry news and trends;
- Working with staff within the Technology Practice and in other practices to manage resources and effectively coordinate communications work to meet or exceed agreed upon metrics; and
- Providing support in generating new business, including research, brainstorming, program creation and effectively presenting at new business meetings and pitches.
Who you are:
- You have at least three years of communications or PR experience including direct client service, preferably at an agency;
- You have an ability and ambition to take on innovative campaigns, capitalize on media opportunities, drive communications program activity and evaluate campaign results against objectives;
- You have strong project management and leadership skills and can take projects and initiatives from concept to execution on a deadline and budget;
- You have excellent written and oral communications skills, honed organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple clients and deadlines simultaneously;
- You have an ability to generate new ideas and transition effortlessly from visionary planner to hands-on executor as situations demand;
- You are passionate about emerging technologies and their potential to change the world;
- You have an interest in health technology or clean/green technology (experience in those settings is a plus); and
- You have a bachelor’s degree (a degree in communications or journalism is preferred).
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. You will report to the Senior Vice President of our Technology Practice.
Compensation and benefits:
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We can discuss your salary expectations early in the process. We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.