- Full Time
Administrative Business Promotion
42-09 28th Street, L.I.C, NY
$56,990.00 - $135,000.00 (Annual)
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is a world-renowned agency with a long tradition of protecting and promoting health in the nation’s most culturally and linguistically diverse city. Our 6,500-plus team members bring an extraordinary array of languages, cultures and experiences to bear on the work of public health. Our diversity fuels creativity, because all perspectives are heard and valued.
The Office of the Commissioner oversees the Health Department's strategic public health planning efforts, initiatives, policies and program development in support of protecting and promoting the health and safety of New Yorkers.
The Speechwriter will serve as the voice of the Commissioner of Health and play a key role in executing the agency’s health agenda through creative and effective communication strategies and driving the agency’s communications plans. The Speechwriter will work closely with the agency’s Bureau of Communications, Press Office, and cabinet to plan and execute speaking events to advance the Commissioner’s broader communications strategy. Specifically, the Speechwriter will also:
- Advise the Commissioner on internal/external communications matters impacting the agency.
- Develop high level messaging to promote the Department’s health agenda and to elevate the Commissioner’s voice as the first Latina Commissioner at the NYC Health Department and the role she plays in many diverse communities.
- Serve as principal writer to the Commissioner, which includes researching and developing speeches, talking points, opinion pieces, essays, presentations, social media content, and other persuasive communication projects focused on the agency health agenda.
- Ensure the Department’s messaging of initiatives is consistent and are aligned with overall administration’s plans, goals, and values.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and five years of full-time paid experience acquired within the last fifteen years, of supervisory or administrative experience including handling of business promotion or urban economic problems, at least 2 years of which must have been in a managerial or executive capacity with primary focus on business promotion or urban economic planning; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience. However all candidates must have 2 years of managerial or executive experience as described in "1" above.
Appropriate graduate study in an accredited college or university may be substituted for the general experience on a year-for-year basis. All candidates must have a four-year high school diploma or its equivalent approved by a State's Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization.
• Five years’ experience in speechwriting, editorial writing, or managing a press office for a large organization such as a government agency, hospital, advocacy or community-based organization.
• Innovative thinker, excellent and persuasive communicator with a track record for translating and executing strategic thinking into action plans;
• Outstanding project management skills;
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and work well under pressure with employees at all levels;
• Self-starter who can work independently and in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines; and
• Ability to work independently with little direction and take initiative to improve processes and solve problems; and
• Ability to make technical/medical information easy for journalist and the public to understand.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 396225.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.