- Full Time
Sactown magazine in Sacramento is looking for a talented senior editor who can assign, write and edit both short and feature-length stories (features can range from 2,000-10,000 words). This dynamic bimonthly city magazine covers topics including food, arts, politics, architecture and design, business, travel, sports, homes and more.
This position requires:
– A minimum of 5 years of experience working for a consumer magazine or newspaper (college publications do *not* count toward this total); editing experience is required.
– Experience writing service journalism, narrative features and personality profiles on a broad range of topics
– The ability to generate smart, surprising story ideas
– The candidate must also be detail-oriented and experienced in line-editing and basic copy-editing.
– Online experience is a plus. The magazine's website is sactownmag.com.
Before launching Sactown in 2006, the magazine's founders/co-editors spent 10 years in NYC as staff writers for Money Magazine, InStyle and SmartMoney, and as freelance writers for New York Magazine, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Metropolis and elsewhere. Sactown has won dozens of awards for its editorial, design, illustration and photography, including the Western Publishing Association award for Best City Magazine, the Folio Award for Best Cover, and the City & Regional Magazine Award for Best Food Writing.
In May 2019, we won the City & Regional Magazine Award for Best Profile for our piece on author William T. Vollmann.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3-4 story clips (preferably via links or personal website; no large attachments, please). Also, **please send salary range requirements.**
Sacramento has a metro population of 2.3 million, and is located 60 minutes from Napa, 90 minutes from San Francisco, 2 hours from Lake Tahoe and 3 hours from Monterey.