- Full Time
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an independent, nonprofit scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries and property damage — from motor vehicle crashes, seeks a Writer/Editor to join our communications department at our offices located in Arlington, Virginia. A key to the success of our organization is effectively communicating our research findings to consumers and other members of the public, as well as to policymakers and automakers. We are looking for an experienced writer who can translate the work of IIHS-HLDI researchers and engineers into accessible, engaging articles for our various audiences. Compensation consists of a competitive salary and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer contributions. Other benefits include health and dental insurance, life insurance, medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, reasonable working hours, three weeks of paid vacation in your first year, and your own private office.
- Write press releases and articles for our monthly newsletter, Status Report, taking them through the clearance process and making revisions as appropriate. Write web-friendly headlines and teasers.
- Recommend appropriate photos and charts to accompany assigned stories.
- Keep web content up-to-date, working with researchers to incorporate the latest research into the topic pages and using the content management system to implement approved changes.
- Help manage and create content for IIHS social media channels.
- Edit correspondence, docket submissions, slides, exhibit text and event materials.
- Assist technical editor when necessary in editing research papers and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related field
- At least five years of professional writing experience
- Strong writing and editing skills; proven ability to distill complex scientific papers and reports into accurate, accessible articles for a nontechnical audience.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail.