Senior Counsel Direct-To-Consumer & Digital Enterprises
Location: Universal City, CA
Function: Operations & Strategy
Specialty: Operations, Planning & Strategy, Business Administration
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: DOE
The Position: The Senior Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs will serve as a legal point of contact and provide legal support for all aspects of content acquisition by the Direct-To-Consumer programming team, including a wide range of issues relating to the licensing of film, television, news, sports, live events and original programming for exploitation on the NBCU streaming service set to launch in 2020. This role will report to the division’s Senior Vice President. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Independently draft, review, negotiate and interpret a range of contracts and other legal documents and manage other lawyers in the division working on acquisition, marketing and similar matters.
- Provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues, and propose practical, responsive solutions.
- Identify and implement improvements to forms and processes.
- Partner with NBCUniversal business executives, as well as colleagues in the Law Department, to discuss and implement best practices and formulate new processes in connection with business needs.
- Other matters as needed at the direction of the division’s General Counsel and its Senior Vice President.
•Member of California bar or other U.S. state bar.
•JD or LLM degree from an accredited law school.
•7+ years of relevant legal experience in digital / new media, including a thorough understanding of and demonstrated proficiency with the technology and distribution agreements.
•Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered and must be willing to submit transcripts.
•Willingness to work nights and on weekends, if needed.
•Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
•Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
•Strong academic credentials.
•Outstanding analytic, communication and organizational skills, including excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
•Collaborative, team-oriented approach.
•Comfortable making legal decisions and advising on business risks.
•Sound business judgment, and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple, wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
•Proactively identify, prioritize and resolve legal issues quickly and effectively.
•Demonstrated ability, in a positive and practical manner, to approach complex legal scenarios in a thoughtful and analytic fashion.
•Ability to explain complex legal concepts to business and creative executives, build consensus across business units, think creatively, and collaborate with other executives to address business needs.
Career Level -Experienced
City -Universal City
Country -United States
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.