Ad Sales Strategy Director
Location: New York, New York
Function: Sales & Business Development
Specialty: Business Development, Sales
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Business Unit Overview:
Business Operations & Strategy is responsible for charting a holistic multi-platform advertising strategy supported by strong operational, research and insights, and marketplace strategy capabilities. The group works hand-in-hand with the network and site leaders, sales leaders and respective teams across Entertainment, News, Hispanic, and Sports to drive profitable revenue growth across all screens. The group oversees advertising strategy & business development, advertising operations, analytics, yield management, insights & research, new platform and ad product development and manages all internal and 3rd party sales channel relationships and advertising technology partnerships.
Sales Strategy & Operations Department Overview:
The Sales Strategy & Operations team is responsible for developing a holistic ad sales strategy for the NBCUniversal portfolio of assets, both linear and digital. The Sales Strategy team is seeking a Director of Ad Sales Strategy who will be an integral member of the team and be responsible for providing support and analysis across the breadth of work provided by the team.
The NBCU Sales Strategy team works within the Ad Sales organization and is responsible for the design and execution of strategic growth initiatives to drive advertising revenue. This team supports both the creation of long-term strategy as well as meeting quarterly revenue targets through a wide range of responsibilities such as product innovation and launch, go-to-market strategies, budgeting and account planning and being the main liaison between the ad sales group and the individual NBCU brands.
This team is highly visible across the ad sales organization and senior leaderships relies heavily on their work to inform business decisions.
The Director of Ad Sales Strategy will lead one of the portfolio’s strategic initiatives. She/he will work with sales management on the go-to-market strategy for both linear and digital, focusing on revenue growth and multiplatform evolution for Total Audience selling. She/he will become a subject matter expert (SME) on a specific ad sales strategic initiative.
The core responsibilities include the following:
Partner with Ad Sales Management on go-to-market strategy (Upfront, Multi-platform selling, Portfolio selling across verticals, etc.)Own and lead one of the ad sales growth initiatives by evaluating the market opportunity, gaining a deep understanding of ad products/capabilities, and work with various cross-functional teams to drive yieldPartner with Business Management on revenue pacing and sales performance, assess health of strategic initiatives and provide recommendations to drive growthConduct competitive market analysis for media ecosystem and synthesize, distill and socialize key trends that influence areas of growth and risk for the organizationAct as an ad sales strategy champion to cross-functional teams (sales, marketing, finance, planning…etc) to ensure all teams are aligned on priorities, value proposition and sales strategyConduct client & category analysis on areas for growth (demand side modeling)Drive monetization of new product offerings via selling strategy and operationalize end-to-end processes for new products Lead education and training on new product initiatives to the sales teamsWork intimately with cross functional areas of business (Planning/Marketing/Sales/Strategy/Research/Operations/Site) to ensure seamless execution of initiatives and operationsWork across verticals and portfolio to identify and share best-in-class practices and products to leverage across the portfolio
• Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, finance, economics or similar quantitative field. MBA preferred.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience in either strategy, finance, media, research, consulting, sales or a combination of the above
• Results-driven and focused individual, combining a quantitative outlook with the ability to organize, motivate and lead stakeholders from across vertical and wider portfolio to drive change
• High aptitude and enthusiasm for complex problem solving utilizing financial modeling and analysis.
• Analytically-driven thought leader who can perform business analysis and real-time tactical execution of priority initiatives
• Comfortable with Powerpoint and Excel with an understanding of how to manipulate data sets through excel functions, pivot tables, graphs and writing macros.
• Be adept at writing, facilitating and presenting analyses through data visualizations and written content.
• The candidate must thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess a high level of intellectual curiosity, be focused on generating results and exhibit a high standard of professional work ethic
• Be able to think creatively “out of the box” when faced with difficult problem statements and proactively think about the next steps of analysis without prompting from management.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to navigate a matrix organization, often with multiple stakeholders for any given project
• Passion for media and its digital evolution
• Advanced quantitative and analytical skills
• Ability to distill complex media, advertising and technology concepts into clear and simple sales messages
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Efficient, well-organized, and strong attention to detail
• Outstanding interpersonal & networking skills
• Ability to travel as required
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.