Developer, Penguin Random House IT
Posted: 6/6/2019 | Expires: 7/6/2019
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Function: Operations & Strategy
Specialty: Web Production
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
The Information Technology department at Penguin Random House (PRH) is looking for a Developer to join their team. This developer will report into a Senior Developer. Our developers build products and services that are designed well, developed fast, and provide value. The Developer will work with a small development team within PRH in a dynamic, agile development environment.
* Work on existing and new web projects in the PRH Applications suite to support both internal and external users
* Build, test, ship, and iterate these technology products during their launch and early lifecycle as they grow and scale, in an atmosphere that fosters creativity and innovation.
* Work closely with the team to execute on the timetables agreed in conjunction with partner teams inside and outside PRH.
* Will be involved in all aspects of development for the products, including infrastructure, services, and frontend development (full-stack), working in collaboration with PRH business units, systems and resources as well as outsourced technology and resources.
* Strong technical knowledge and skills in areas including flexible infrastructure (e.g., AWS), RESTful APIs and service-based architecture, dev ops, and frontend development (web and mobile) are critical. The role involves working with the latest technologies, with a focus on automating tasks where possible and building tools as part of the frontend development workflow.
* Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers
* Possess strong problem solving and decision making skills while using good judgment
* Multi-task and change from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure
* At least 1 year experience working with web-based technologies
* Strong knowledge with modern web standards including HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+
* Familiarity designing and implementing RESTful APIs
* Working knowledge of object-oriented design
* Familiarity with agile software development methodology
* Familiarity with source code control
* Excellent communication skills
The environment you’ll be working in
* SCSS Modules
* CI/CD pipeline to production w/GitLab CI
* Test automation for unit, integration
* Jest and Enzyme unit testsPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.