- Full Time
Brick Underground, the most popular and trusted digital media outlet for New Yorkers navigating the city's complicated real estate landscape, is looking for a full-time associate editor. The ideal candidate has a journalism background, digital media experience, and a strong interest in creating smart, useful stories for NYC renters, buyers, sellers and owners. The associate editor will conceive story ideas, write, edit, manage freelancers and work in a variety of formats, becoming an expert on how to do anything in New York City real estate, from how to negotiate concessions on a rental apartment, to how much to tip your super, to strategies for fielding lowball offers when selling your apartment.
- Cultivate sources
- Brainstorm, pitch, report, and write original stories every day
- Consult on headlines, social media posts
- Attend occasional real estate industry events
- Prior journalism, writing and editing experience (2+ years minimum) and a dedication to using best journalistic practices
- Service journalism experience a PLUS! Interest in service journalism a MUST!
- Experience using an online content management system
- Organized, resourceful, energetic team player willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Flair for writing compelling headlines, ledes, and subheds for the web
- Strong interest in and basic knowledge of NYC real estate
- Social media experience a plus
When applying please include:
- A brief cover letter listing three things that you as a NYC renter, buyer, seller, or apartment owner would like to be able to read about online and a short list of your go-to real estate news/info sources (online or offline) and why you find them useful
- Links to relevant work samples, including writing, editing, social media campaigns, and/or video
This position reports directly to the managing editor and the founder/CEO. Potential for rapid advancement for the right person.