Freelance Assignment Editor
- Full Time
Altice USA (NYSE: ATUS) is one of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States, delivering broadband, pay television, telephony services, proprietary content and advertising services to approximately 4.9 million Residential and Business customers across 21 states through its Optimum and Suddenlink brands.
From high-speed broadband and ultra-HD video, to digital advertising solutions, local news and voice offerings, we are making connections possible around the country -- to businesses, to consumers, to communities, to schools, to hospitals, and everyone in between.
News 12 Networks is the first, largest and most watched 24-hour local television news network in the country, with seven individual local news channels and five traffic and weather channels serving Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Hudson Valley, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
News 12 Long Island is looking for the right individual to coordinate the gathering of news, the generation of story ideas, the scheduling and assignment of coverage, and the delivery of news material to the production team for all News 12 services. The ideal candidate will work with news management, producers and reporters to plan well-rounded news coverage. Maintain extensive working files of possible stories, background information and news sources. Gather information about news as it develops and communicate it effectively and accurately to the production team. Schedule and order facilities including satellite time. Assign and coordinate the distribution of newsgathering equipment. Work accurately under pressure. Dispatch news crews, maintain schedule logs, deal with telephone story tips, listen to police radios, read newswires and e-mail, and stay in contact with sources in order to stay up to date with breaking news. The freelance position is on-call as needed with fluctuating hours. Candidates must have a flexible schedule and be available to work various shifts with short notice at times.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications preferred, Master’s degree is a plus.
• Minimum of one year of journalism experience.
• Must have a commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy with an enthusiasm for journalism.
• Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with general knowledge and interest in local, national and world news.
• Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills are preferred.
• Must have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet and maintain a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.