Culture Editor, Mic
- Full Time
Mic is seeking a Culture Editor to lead its music, movies, books, and television coverage. As our Culture Editor, you will conceive and oversee a vertical that takes a fluid approach to how we define culture.
This editor will be adept at using culture as a framework to illuminate the issues and causes important to young people and drawing meaningful connections at the intersection of culture and identity, technology, and politics.
The ideal candidate is a sharp, curious editor who is passionate about highlighting the best and most important projects from underrepresented groups and flourishing communities and examining burgeoning subcultures and emerging platforms for who—or what—might come next.
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of a small team of part-time and freelance writers and reporters
- Assign and edit stories ranging from aggregated news to investigative features
- Edit quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Develop vertical-defining series and franchises
- Have creative ideas and strategies about how to expand Mic’s culture coverage
- Conceive unique ways to cover the biggest culture stories of the day and move the conversation forward
- 5-7 years of experience in writing, editing, or reporting
- Experience with both reported work and news
- Creative, independent thinker
- An understanding of how culture touches on Mic’s other areas of coverage, including politics, identity, and technology