PR and Marketing Officer
- Full Time
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non- communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is looking for a PR and Marketing Officer to support the organization’s External Communication team in the execution of a wide range of writing, communications, public relations, planning, and marketing activities, aimed at strategically promoting the organization and our work around the world to advance health and opportunity for all people. This is a full-time position based in New York. Applicants must possess a valid working permit to work in New York.
The PR and Marketing Officer will work closely with a world-class team of PR and communication experts with a culture of supportive teamwork, innovation and good humor. To succeed in this role, the PR and Marketing Officer must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, think creatively and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The PR and Marketing Officer will support our external communication strategy; write, edit and distribute press releases, op-eds and blogs, web, newsletter and social content; and develop and distribute story pitches targeted to national and international media. This role will also support global launches and announcements, coordinate media requests, and support speaking engagements and events. Reporting to the Director of PR, the PR and Marketing Officer will also partner with technical staff to create web and marketing materials relevant to a wide variety of programs, ranging from environmental issues to tobacco control.
- Write and edit compelling content for distribution across multiple platforms, including press releases, op-eds, speeches, press statements, story pitches, case studies, website content, newsletters and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s goals, activities, and/or impact
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand with media and across multiple marketing and communication channels; plan, develop and deliver publicity campaigns and evaluate their success
- Plan and manage events, award and speaker submissions, and other thought leadership opportunities
- Develop pitches and secure media placements in target media outlets and respond to media inquiries
- Support interviews press briefings and other media engagements to advance the organization’s mission with national and international media, and coverage of relevant issues, our partners, and our programs
- Address inquiries from the media and other parties
- Monitor news and follow trends in relevant issue areas and global health, health policy and development and pitch ideas for stories and articles, interviews and issue rapid response statements from key spokespeople
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists and maintain a media database
- Record media coverage and collate analytics and metrics
- Develop and update brochures, media kits, fact sheets, and other marketing materials
- 5+ years of PR, communication and/or marketing experience
- Superb writer (a writing assignment will be given), editor and storyteller. You have a knack for connecting with audiences through exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work fast, meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, and ability to think outside the box
- Experience writing and preparing marketing materials, including press releases, fact sheets, pitches, programs, one-pagers, web, newsletter and social content
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven success in pitching and securing press
- Experience with media intelligence platforms (i.e. Cision; Meltwater); email marketing services (i.e. Mailchimp); social media channels
- Ability to bring new, creative ideas to communicating the organization's work
- Creative, resourceful, with a keen attention to detail
- Contribute to a team atmosphere and work well with others
- Ability to go the extra mile to provide ultimate service for internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across time zones and platforms
- 2+ years of agency experience
- 3+ years of Nonprofit experience
- Candidate based in NY
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a writing sample The deadline for receipt of applications is June 21, 2019. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered and shortlisted candidates will be contacted to be interviewed.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part- time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partners; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits; and basic life and personal accident insurance.