Vice President of News
Location: Sacramento, California
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
The Vice President of News is responsible for the overall performance of the news department and any other local news productions across multiple media platforms, including digital and out of home. Candidate must be able create a clear vision and strategy in a competitive market, with the focus on improving our staff, content, presentation and overall station performance.
• Provides leadership and drives strategy for News staff by driving a culture of creativity, respect for one another and overall excellence in a multi-platform environment.
• Oversees day-to-day coverage, big story, breaking news and sweeps planning with consideration of payroll, staffing, field, and news operations to meet established goals and objectives.
• Oversees and manages the quality of all newsgathering, production, news programming and presentation.
Works with news management team to ensure local newscasts are well conceived and provide multi platform, high quality, accurate coverage to improve competitive position in the market
•Promotes a digital newsroom culture with staff and works with Division VP of News to develop a strategy for continued growth and engagement on digital properties.
• Creates the cohesive standards for all aspects of the on-air presentation for all shows
• Manages and develops news personnel. Makes hiring decisions and negotiates contracts; establishes performance goals and guidelines; oversees the evaluation and performance appraisal process across the news organization; enthusiastically promotes management initiatives.
• Works with local and station group management in the effective use of resources and synergies in managing operations and to develop standards and processes for optimal performance.
• Develops and maintains a working relationship with the research director to analyze performance and identify trends on broadcast and digital platforms.
• Implements strategic mission and tactical operation of newsroom while ensuring the highest levels of journalistic, ethical, TV production and promotion standards are maintained.
• Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the following areas: as a News Director, Assistant News Director or similar leadership role at a broadcast station in a mid to large market
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans and presenting in front of large audiences
• Experience and success in coaching, leading and motivating a team of employees
• Ability to think “out of the box” and outside of traditional journalistic and News norms regarding use of technology
• Be able to work with Nielsen broadcast data and digital metrics to help shape an overall news strategy
• External applicants are encouraged to submit a resume
• Able to work a Flexible Schedule and Shifts
• Must be willing to work in Sacramento, CA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Multi-platform Experience
• Srong Organizational skills
• Marketing Research skills
• Excellent people management, leadership and coaching skills
• Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, content driven, technology intensive environment
• Energetic and diligent in launching major campaigns
• Fully bilingual: English – Spanish
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.