Penguin Random House is seeking a new Director to join our Global Strategy & Corporate Development team, reporting to the SVP.
We are a fast-paced, collaborative team that works closely with the CEO of Penguin Random House on a broad range of strategic and operational topics. Every day, we partner with PRH senior leadership locally and globally across corporate departments, publishing divisions, international territories, and shareholders to advance the development and execution of strategic projects. Our scope is an ever-evolving mix of topics at the center of publishing today, and typical tasks include including implementing strategic initiatives, exploring new market and business opportunities, and developing market analyses. Each project we undertake brings unique insight and exposure to the inner-workings of Penguin Random House and our parent company, Bertelsmann – and the opportunity to drive our global agenda
As the Director, you will work on high-level strategic projects, drive cross-functional strategic initiatives, and manage high-priority projects for the organization across business areas. The role requires leadership and end-to-end ownership, while credibly coordinating across teams and in communication with business stakeholders.
The successful candidate will thrive in a self-directed and goal-oriented environment, be well spoken and innovative, and have a demonstrated ability to build business cases, solve complex problems, initiate, plan, and execute priorities to successful completion.
What’s the opportunity?
* Directly involved in driving and supporting high-level, high-impact projects tied to PRH global strategy
* High level of exposure to senior leadership and a strong vantage point from which to learn about cross-functional business operations
* Work on a dynamic range of projects, digging into and distilling complex ideas into simple, digestible information
* Share in our passion for books and stories
* Project Ownership and Management
* Define project scope, goals, and deliverables of a range of projects
* Lead cross-functional teams from across the organization to initiate, plan, and execute complicated projects to successful completion
* Bring structure t complex business questions to drive towards a conclusion or recommendation
* Communicate updates regularly to business stakeholders
* Plan, schedule, and maintain project timelines by building clear and detailed project plans
* Own and support strategic development projects, including end-to-end diagnostics, and recommendations for implementation
* Conduct market research and industry analysis in order to make recommendations on strategic planning
* Leadership & Board meeting preparation
* Provide information and insights to a broad range of business leaders that tell a story and help to drive strategic decision-making
* Coordinate materials for Board meetings
* Produce and prepare key shareholder documents.
* Ad-hoc support on other projects as needed
* 4+ years’ work experience either through internships and/or practical work experience, with 3+ years, demonstrated success managing projects, cross-functional teams, programs
* Strong preference for experience in media, consulting, business development, or related field.
* Highly organized, Self-motivated, with a strong ability to prioritize, plan, and execute multiple projects and deadlines
* Excellent organization and project management skills
* Detail-oriented with the ability to work independently and adapt in a fast-changing environment
* Able to find structure, logic, and insight in complex business problems to provide meaningful conclusions
* Curious, with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Strong ability to develop relationships through trust, gaining the buy-in of stakeholders on key initiatives
* Professional demeanor with strong written and oral communication skills, including developing coherent, concise emails and slides
* Proficient Microsoft Office user, particularly with PPT, Excel, and WordPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.