Copy Editor I
- Full Time
Edit content for use in CMG’s publications and digital products, focusing heavily on spelling errors, missing or wrong words, grammatical and punctuation mistakes, bias and balance issues and other errors that harm our credibility. Must be able to handle a variety of tasks with minimal supervision for multiple markets and publications.
Edit content for use in CMG’s print publications
• Review copy for accuracy, spelling, grammar, style, clarity, fairness, taste, bias, balance of perspectives and libel. Make corrections and revisions as needed.
• Provide “first reads” as needed to review content for clarity, obvious omissions, bias, balance of perspectives and libel. Work closely with content creators to address issues.
• Prioritize tasks and spend appropriate time on tasks with minimal supervision.
Write display type
• Write headlines to convey the most interesting and important aspects of each story, focusing heavily on search engine optimization.
• Write or rewrite photo captions that provide supplemental information.
Curate content for print and Digital
• Select appropriate content for our printed or digital products, following strategic action plans and other guidelines. Responsibilities include selecting stories for newspaper sections; communicating with newsrooms to coordinate planned late coverage and late-breaking news; and selecting and editing stories from syndicated sources, or similar functions for our digital products.
• Manage printed space, deadlines and other print-specific items, such as graphics requests.
• Produce content to help subscribers navigate the printed newspaper: boxes, rail text, refer language, POP boxes. Identify and select the strongest content from our digital platforms for use in our printed newspapers.
Qualifications:Education: Bachelor's degree (preferred) or equivalent experience.
Years & Type of Experience: At least 5 years of experience as a copy editor, wire editor, page designer or other type of news content production editor.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.