We are looking for a highly motivated and creative editor/reporter to help shape the content being created by the digital teams at NBC’s 12 owned television stations. The Local News Editor will be a key member of the national digital team in New York. The editor will produce and edit timely, compelling and distinct breaking news and features coverage for the 12 stations, and work with the digital teams at the stations to ensure that the voice and quality of their local digital content fits with their specific editorial strategies and group best practices.
This role is part writer, part coach, part editor — someone who is dedicated to creating the most distinctive local digital news experiences possible, while understanding how new ideas can fit into existing local frameworks and strategies. The editor must have excellent coaching and communication skills to build relationships with the local digital teams. This editor must actively and consistently communicate with the digital teams at the local stations, helping local editors make the best decisions to create comprehensive coverage on all platforms. Many top national news stories first emerge from the coverage areas of NBC’s owned stations. Don’t apply if you don’t love local news.
The editor will be based in New York City and will work an evening shift.Create original articles and blog posts for breaking news and features.Work with the digital teams at NBC’s 12 owned stations to ensure they are creating the most compelling local digital news experience possible.Help editors on the national team and at our stations improve stories, headlines and photo selection as needed to lift the overall quality of the sites.Assist local editors covering major breaking news stories, including editing stories, writing sidebars, contributing original reporting, building photo galleries, etc.Contribute to enterprise projects that support local news coverage, including reporting and writing in-depth stories and features and contributing to interesting data visualizations.Communicate with station editors regularly to help improve local editorial planning. Help plan and execute national editorial priorities.
- At least five years experience as an editor, writer or producer at a major news organization that creates content under tight deadlines.
- Must be able to work evening hours, and fill in on weekends and other shifts when demanded by breaking news or other editorial responsibilities.
- Experience working with an online publishing tool or content management system.
- Must be a skilled and fast writer with strong AP Style skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communications skills and a can-do mentality as unexpected challenges arise.
- Multimedia experience (video and photos), and familiarity with analytics and reporting tools are desirable.
- Must have the ability to coach your colleagues and lead by example.
- Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, political science or English.
- Willingness to follow very specific systems and workflow, while also exercising excellent judgment to know when additional measures are needed.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.