- Full Time
The Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation is seeking a Communications Manager to increase awareness of the organization and its needs. The ideal candidate will be a strong writer who understands the importance of storytelling across different media and digital platforms. This is an ideal position for a self-starter who is interested in working in a fast-paced environment and can handle multiple projects simultaneously.
The LAFD Foundation supports the Los Angeles Fire Department in protecting life, property, and the environment by providing essential equipment, training, and public outreach programs to supplement city resources.
The candidate should have an interest in working for a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the city’s public safety needs. The position will report to the President.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and executes an integrated marketing and communications plan that includes use of traditional media, social and new media digital platforms.
- Creates and writes compelling content.
- Oversees the editorial strategy and content for the Foundation’s social and digital media channels including the website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Work with the Development Director to create strategy for donor messaging for various fundraising campaigns and communications materials.
- Write press releases, media strategies, talking points, and other collateral materials as needed.
- Provides creative direction and insights for materials used for branding, internal and external communications.
- Works with LAFD public information personnel to ensure proper messaging and use of LAFD materials and information.
- Manage the Foundation’s photography and video needs.
- Serve as the primary staff responsible for day-to-day communications needs.
- Serves as the primary staff for special event publicity.
- Work with pro bono public relations, marketing and advertising agencies.
- Maintains archives for photos, video and digital impressions.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- One to three years of public relations or communications experience desirable.
- Knowledge or desire to work in a non-profit environment.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills desirable.
- Social media and/or digital marketing experience desirable.
- Photography experience desirable.
- Working knowledge of SEO/SEM desirable. Hands-on experience utilizing online marketing tools such as Google ADWords, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, etc. preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organization, and communication skills.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Adobe and HTML experience is desirable.
- Must be able to effectively and efficiently operate office equipment including telephones, copiers, fax machines, computers, etc.
- Must have own transportation to attend meetings and events off site.
- Enthusiasm, dedication, a sense of humor and a drive to succeed.
All employees are required to pass a background check.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter that lets us know why you are interested in the position. Email your information to us and please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of your email. Due to the high volume of submissions received, emails without the information above may not be considered.