Print Operations Manager
- Full Time
Print Operations Manager
We are excited to invite an experienced print production manager to lead our purchasing team at Sounds True. Sounds True is a multimedia publisher producing 45–50 books/year and 20–30 audio programs per year. This person will act as the print production lead evaluating printing, binding, cost negotiations, vendor assessments, and quality control. The position is also responsible for cross-training internal teams on foundational print production skills and managing ongoing development. Sounds True is facing rapid growth and we need somebody that can dive in as we all push forward to thrive as a team.
- Print Production Lead: Manage all print production needs for the company. Act as main liaison between the art team, print vendors, and the purchasing team in regards to print production logistics. Manage production of general trade hardcover/paperback and mass market books, including estimating length and costs through book printing and binding. Cross-train internal teams on foundational print production skills and manage ongoing development.
- Purchasing Team Management: Act as the working manager of the purchasing team (two employees), meeting quarterly key objectives set by the VP of Operations. We are looking for a friendly, energetic, fun, and hard-working person to join our incredible team.
- Quality: Inspect, approve, and route incoming audio/video samples, book wet proofs, book proofs, and pre-production samples from our vendors to enforce quality standards. Also, manage quality audits as needed with the warehouse, art team, and purchasing team.
- Analysis and Cost Reduction: Assist with reducing costs across all physical good product lines (Books, Audio, Video, Kits, etc).
- New Vendor Certification: Manage the sourcing of new vendor partners that meet our key requirements (FSC paper management, cost management, quality management, service, and on-time delivery).
- Distribution Transition: Assist the VP of Operations with distribution transition projects (transitioning to Macmillan in May 2019).
- Marketing Print Production: Assist the art team and project management team with marketing print production needs.
- New Book Special Process Management: Act as lead in managing defining the book spec for all new Frontlist books that require special processes.
- Special Process Research: Educate internal teams on trending processes or special effects in the publishing industry. Help Sounds True stay on top of creating beautiful, unique products while maintaining required costs.
- Metrics: Pull the data and perform analytics for all purchasing metrics needed to help the department grow and meet key objectives set by the VP of Operations.
- Knowledge of pre-press, estimating, scheduling, paper, printing, and binding for trade and mass market book production
- Must be highly-organized, detail-oriented, thorough, and accurate
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven culture; capable of effectively prioritizing work, multi-tasking, and following up to keep projects on track
- Strong project management experience; effective at providing executive summary updates to the VP of Operations
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; Ability to verbalize and document in writing
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills with a high level of drive, humility, and people skills
- Strong computer skills (MS Excel, ERP systems, Firebrand/Biblio Publishing software)
- Minimum five years book production experience
- Knowledge of publishing computer systems (Biblio, ERP systems, Firebrand, etc)
- Minimum of two years of manager experience
- A genuine connection to the mission of Sounds True a plus
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your interest in this role and the company along with your resume and salary requirements.
Sounds True is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We offer an excellent working environment and great benefits. For more details you can visit SoundsTrue.com.