- Full Time
At Esalen, we care about being present. We bring that to everything we do. We don’t just build a table, we build a work of art that’s also a table. We don’t just say hello, we make eye contact and listen with intention. We feel the same way about our team members - showing up in support of their full being. We offer great health care, access to workshops, and the space to further our mission by contributing to your own human potential.
- Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Graphic Designer will conceptualize, design and produce digital graphics and printed materials which meet both brand standards and style guide and stakeholder needs. Projects will include creating visual communications through the use of graphics, typography, photography, and illustration. This position will assist in the strategy, design, and implementation of brand elements and collaborate with the Content Developer and Webmaster for concept development, presentations, production and execution of design projects. Other duties include updating or refreshing existing graphics that may include print, digital, social media, signage and other graphics or templates. Generate, review and edit draft and final files to ensure design work follows university brand and style guide standards.
What will this role do?
- Print Collateral Design: Provide design support and expertise for the translation of concept and message into visual solutions. Projects include product catalogs, brochures, newsletters, fundraising appeals, direct mail, and more. Oversee ongoing employee training programs and practices to ensure the continue professional development of Esalen Practitioners
- Digital Design: Create digital assets including infographics, electronic newsletter, social media, website design elements, slide decks and more
- Environmental Signage: Design and production of environmental graphics such as banners, signage, and traveling marketing displays.
- Product Design: Create designs for merchandise such as product labels, T-shirts, journals, stationery, water bottles, tote bags, and more.
- Print Production: Prepare final print ready design files, RFQ specifications and production bids for printers and other vendors. Coordinate print order, file transfer, production specs and proofing with printers
- Data Asset Management: Maintain electronic archive of project assets, icon library, font library, and university standard stationery template files
- Other various tasks as assigned
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills
- Required: Minimum of a BA in Graphic Design or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of consistent, direct, hands-on employment as an Graphic Designer (excluding freelance or internships) in an advertising agency, corporate in-house organization, or higher education institution in-house creative team.
- Superior concept development skills.
- Expert at translating messaging into a visual solution.
- Strong organizational and collaboration skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of print production workflow and digital asset creation.
- Ability to work with technical data and marketing challenges.
- Ability to work independently as well as on teams.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to think strategically and recommend communications strategies, tactics, and messaging. Proficient use of Adobe Creative Suite with and emphasis on InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator in a Mac environment.
- Preferred: BFA or MFA in Graphic Design. Knowledge of copywriting, photography, and illustration.
- Knowledge of digital platforms is a plus, such as HTML and CSS, mobile, presentation software, and video editing. Adobe Creative Suite or any other digital asset creation software and workflow for the iPad.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; maneuver on uneven ground, stand for long periods of time; sitting at a desk and working on computers and answering phones.
- The pay for this non-exempt position is commensurate with experience. This role includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen gives teammates access to an extensive range of daily experiential classes (yoga, dance, tai chi, and meditation), ongoing in-house education and training programs, and scholarship for Esalen workshops and massage.
Esalen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.