- Full Time
Manning, Favre, Rice, Sweetness – in the heart of the SEC conference, Mississippi produces more pro athletes per capita than any other state, and now we’re looking for a Sports Director to join our team.
16 WAPT, the Hearst owned ABC affiliate in Jackson, MS, has an immediate opening for a Sports Director to join our team. Applicant must have proven ability to tell compelling stories, perform dynamic live shots, and must be able to shoot and edit. Experience producing special programs is also a plus. We need a storyteller who has a dynamic on-air presence and excellent communication skills. You must also have a proven track record of social media engagement.
Come work for one of the most exciting industries in one of the most cultural and historic cities! WAPT-TV, Hearst Television’s ABC affiliate, is located in the heart of Jackson, Mississippi. Even with a population of more than 500,000, Jackson maintains the warmth and charm of a small town. As one of the most affordable places in the country to live, Jackson provides a wide array of cultural, historical, and educational opportunities without the hassle and traffic of larger metropolitan areas. Come join the Hearst Family!
- Prepare and anchor sports segment and sports stories for weekday evening shows
- Serve as a reporter and photographer for gathering and presenting sports stories during the week and on weekends
- Fill in for weekend sports anchor/reporter
- Produce and anchor sports specials
- Post sports stories to digital platforms including social media
- Work with promotions and marketing to provide material for promoting stories and segments
- Work with the assignment desk to plan resources for sports coverage
- Travel to sporting events for coverage at times
- At least two years in a commercial TV newsroom preferable as a sports anchor/reporter
- Non Linear editing knowledge preferable with Adobe Premier
- Knowledge and experience with ENPS
- Broadcasting degree or equivalent preferred
- Highly organized
- Social Media savvy
- Works well in stressful situations and with deadlines
- Extensive sports knowledge and good news judgment
- Desire to win, especially in breaking news situations
- Team player
- Journalism or Broadcasting degree or equivalent preferred