RedNova Learning, part of Macmillan Education, produces English as a foreign language (EFL) materials for students and teachers in Latin America, East Asia, and the Middle East.
Commissioning Editor, American English Primary Portfolio
Palmetto Bay (Miami), FL or London, UK
Macmillan Education, which is an imprint of Springer Nature, is one of the world’s leading publishers of English language teaching and school curriculum materials, with over 150 years of publishing experience. Our Schools Language Learning division develops and publishes English Language Teaching (ELT) materials for all age ranges, preschool to young adult. Our products encompass a wide range of print and digital formats.
This particular role is for the American English Portfolio team and will work on materials for pre-primary and primary school students and teachers. The Commissioning Editor’s role within ELT Schools Publishing is to commission and develop appropriate, profitable, and quality ELT content (print and digital) from concept development through to publication as specified in the publishing plan. The successful candidate will have extensive experience of working on complex book and digital publishing projects with large, diverse and geographically dispersed cross-functional teams (internal and external).
The position is available in our Miami or London office. The team in Miami works under the name RedNova Learning, which is a Macmillan Education company.
This is a full-time, on-site position, available in our Miami or London office.
- Identify and commission authors and contributors to produce material to the appropriate specs.
- Collaborate with the Publisher, as well as Product, Operations, Sales and Marketing, and Production stakeholders to ensure the publishing meets the needs of the key audience and is aligned with pre-press investment.
- Develop the concept of the course in liaison with the Publisher, including the component list and briefs.
- Develop product proposals in line with the publishing vision and market needs.
- Work closely with overseas markets and perform field research in order to develop appropriate product concepts.
- Work with the content development team to ensure quality material that meet the needs of the key markets and is produced on schedule, within budget, and to spec.
- Manage line reports, freelancers, and vendors as required.
- Understand and manage a project P&L.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to schedule, plan, and resource projects effectively.
- Negotiate and administer content development contracts, with support from Editorial Services.
- Keep up-to-date on ELT/EFL news, issues, and education trends.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus formal ELT/TEFL qualification.
- At least three years of English language teaching experience, preferably in a primary setting.
- Knowledge of ELT markets and pre-school and/or primary American English segments.
- Demonstrable, market-focused ELT publishing experience at project leadership level and a proven track record of successful product development.
- Awareness of publishing processes and how they impact manuscript development and production.
- Experience of working with a range of new media and digital projects.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and to manage numerous tasks.
- Excellent written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A positive attitude and commitment to the aims of the company.
- Excellent teamwork and organizational skills.
- Appreciation for a wide international range of teaching and learning situations.
- Experience working within a global organization/environment.
- Knowledge of a second language.
- A working understanding of content management systems.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
For more information, visit our website at http://www.rednovalearning.com.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.