Senior Editor, Forge
- Full Time
At Medium, we've launched a new personal development publication, Forge, that exists to serve readers and subscribers, not advertisers.
The right senior editor for this publication is forward-thinking, rigorous, creative, and enterprising. We want someone who has a keen eye for emerging trends and ideas in personal development, at work and in life.
You will commission and edit reported stories, columns, and essays by writers and experts—conceiving and framing perspectives that are not seen elsewhere. You are fascinated by the question of what it means to live, work, and be better, and eager to think innovatively about what personal development can be.
You have exquisite taste and an instinctive feel for what’s in the zeitgeist. You’re an omnivorous consumer of information, and as tuned in to conversations about culture, news, business, technology, and science as you are to those about productivity, personal progress, and creativity. You also have distinct ideas about how to stand out in a crowded field, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
You have outstanding people skills, love working with writers, and can juggle multiple tasks and assignments.
What will you do?
- Help oversee the publication of several stories per day, from quick hits off the news or zeitgeist to columnists and occasional features
- Commission, frame, and edit stories from freelancers and staffers
- Field pitches from freelancers and staffers, and help writers hone their ideas
- Bring new writers and voices into the publication as regular contributors
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers, as well as experts who already publish on the Medium platform and could command a bigger audience
- Brainstorm and help implement creative ways the publication can cover timely or newsy topics
- Work with writers and staffers from across the newsroom on story packaging, including headline, design, art, SEO, and social strategy
- Bring new ideas to work every day, and help colleagues develop and advance their ideas
- Work closely with colleagues across our digital newsroom to deliver high-impact collaborative projects and themed packages
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You don’t want the story that has already been done, or that everyone will do; but you are always looking for a fresh way into the big conversations of the day
- You can solicit ideas from writers—including freelancers, authors, and non-journalists from academia, business, the arts, politics, and public life—and help them frame and hone their stories
- You are a curious and discerning consumer of culture, online and offline
- You engage with the process of packaging stories and projects for maximum impact—from headline to art to SEO optimization and social strategy
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You like to tackle problems quickly, rather than let them linger
- You’re a team player and you’ll work with colleagues and leadership across departments to make us better
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York or San Francisco, but we are willing to discuss remote work.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.