Senior Editor, New Business Publication
5 days left
- Full Time
At Medium, we are launching a series of subscription-based publications that will exist to serve readers, not advertisers. The right senior editor for our business publication is forward-thinking, tuned in to the companies and people that matter, creative, and enterprising.
Medium is looking for an ambitious, well-sourced editor to work on our business publication, with a focus on daily, weekly, and monthly publishing. We want someone who has a keen eye for the narratives of business, the insights of economics, the challenges of entrepreneurship, the art of work, and the responsibilities of management. We want someone who can ask the right questions to develop superior coverage across those topic areas, and help identify trends and storylines in business as they grow from niche stories into broader societal discussion and cultural awareness.
You will commission stories and edit columns and essays by known and unknown writers and experts, publishing stories and perspectives that are not seen elsewhere. You also have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes our readers smarter.
Medium isn’t where readers will find aggregation or commodity news. Instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in understanding the cycle of value creation and destruction that underpins the way our economy and society function.
The right person for this role has several years of experience covering business as an editor, and a stable of talent (both freelance and for staff roles) they’re ready to tap.
What will you do?
- Help oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely analysis and explainers to columnists and feature and enterprise reporting
- Bring new writers and voices into the business publication as regular contributors
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers, as well as experts and analysts who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Brainstorm and help implement creative ways Medium can cover timely or newsy topics in business that make sense for the publication
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of commissioned stories
- Work with editorial team leadership on special projects and monthly themed packages
- Ensure that Medium’s business coverage is relevant and informative
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You are passionate about business, entrepreneurship, work, management, and companies and individuals, both emerging and already essential.
- You are a generalist across these areas or you have specialized in a particular form or field
- You don’t pitch stories based on press releases
- You have access and story ideas that aren’t being done elsewhere
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgmentYou are sourced in business journalism, or are sure you can reach anyone you would like to quickly
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement and avoids jargon and hyperbole
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.