Deputy Editor, GEN
- Full Time
Medium is growing its editorial team. We are looking for a critical, high-level addition to the editorial staff of GEN, our new publication focused on politics, power, and culture—a deputy editor who will focus on daily, weekly and monthly story planning and commissioning, and on the development of the editorial calendar. The deputy editor will assign features, essays and reported stories and work closely with the Editor in Chief on strategy and execution. She or he should have excellent taste, a record of bringing in phenomenal stories by excellent writers, and real passion for seeking out undiscovered and emerging voices. This person will also be a master at juggling various commissioned assignments at the same time.
Finally, this will be someone who has an eye for quality, is intellectually curious and highly creative, and displays excellent judgment when it comes to commissioning broad-interest and niche stories that people want to read.
What will you do?
- Work alongside leadership on the execution of the new publication's editorial strategy and budget
- Assign engaging stories every week
- Bring in established writers while also identifying emerging writers who should be writing for us
- Help to inform, establish and execute our editorial calendar
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and to every story-planning meeting
- Know what’s trending and have fresh ideas about followup stories
- Provide critical support to the EIC, in terms of budgets, processes, and more
- Liaise with design on the visual execution of all special projects
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Collaborate with the editorial, product, communications and marketing departments on the merchandising and promotion of engaging stories
- Work with leadership across departments to make us better
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in the field of journalism, including some editorial management experience
- You're a curious reader with excellent taste and discernment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands how to use every element to frame a story for maximum reader engagement
- You have a stable of writers but ability to identify and solicit extraordinary writers who are not yet known
- You have an editorial sensibility as well as an interest in working closely with other departments
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.