Features Editor, Forge
- Full Time
At Medium, we've launched a new personal development publication, Forge, that exists to serve readers and subscribers, not advertisers.
We are looking for an outstanding, experienced features editor. You will conceive, assign and edit ambitious features, essays, and columns—our “cover stories.”
This is a role for an ideas person who is confident working with writers at the top of their game; dedicated to finding the perfect story framing, and driven to take each and every story to the next level. You are fascinated by the question of what it means to live, work, and be better, and eager to think innovatively about what personal development can be.
You have exquisite taste and an instinctive feel for what’s in the zeitgeist. You’re an omnivorous consumer of information, and as tuned in to conversations about culture, news, business, technology, and science as you are to those about productivity, personal progress, and creativity. You also have distinct ideas about how to stand out in a crowded field, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
You have exceptional people skills, love working with writers, and can juggle multiple tasks and assignments.
What will you do?
- Conceive, assign, and edit several stories per week—of various lengths, and on subjects ranging from friendship to failure, leadership to love
- Field pitches from freelancers and staffers, and help writers hone their ideas
- Work mostly with freelance writers, but also sometimes with authors and non-journalists from academia, business, the arts, politics, and public life
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and help colleagues develop and advance their ideas
- Work closely with colleagues across our digital newsroom to deliver high-impact collaborative projects and themed packages
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You have a track record of assigning and editing breakthrough, conversation-starting, reported and idea-based features
- You have a stable of great writers that you have worked with, or can approach to write for us
- You can solicit ideas from writers you don’t yet know, and help them frame and hone their stories
- You don’t want the story that has already been done, or that everyone will do; but you are always looking for a fresh way into the big conversations of the dayYou are a curious and discerning consumer of culture, online and offline
- You engage with the process of packaging stories and projects for maximum impact—from headline to art to SEO optimization and social strategy
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You like to tackle problems quickly, rather than let them linger
- You’re a great teammate and you’ll work with colleagues and leadership across departments to make us better
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York or San Francisco, but we are willing to discuss remote work.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.