Features Editor, GEN
2 days left
- Full Time
Medium is looking for a voracious, experienced features editor to work closely with the deputy editor and editor-in-chief of our new publication, GEN, focused on politics, power, and culture. You will conceive, assign and edit features, essays, and columns. This is a role for an ideas person with a broad range of interests who understands the importance of pairing an amazing idea with the perfect writer—and loves to do so.
You have excellent taste and real passion for bringing in extraordinary broad-interest and timely stories. You read a ton, and have the conversation-furthering idea on everything you read. You also have a sixth sense for what others want to read—and you know that, with stories, if you can’t be first, it's essential to be better.
You should have the ability to juggle various commissioned assignments and be able to deliver clean copy daily, weekly, and monthly.
What will you do?
- Conceive, assign, and edit 4 stories per week
- Commission features of various lengths on a wide range of subjects ranging from politics and issues to culture, science, tech, and business
- Bring new ideas to work every single day and to every story-planning meeting
- Work closely with editorial leadership and the deputy editor to deliver high-impact themed packages
- Write stories as needed for special packages
- Work with writers closely
- Support junior staff members and freelance writers on story packaging, including display copy
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in the field of journalism
- You are willing to deviate from your day-to-day in the interest of the team
- You don’t want to do the story that’s been done, but you also know what people want to read
- You know what’s trending and have creative ideas for followup stories
- You can identify and solicit ideas from exceptional writers you don’t yet know
- You are a curious reader with excellent taste and discernment
- You think about packaging individual and groups of stories for maximum impact
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands how to use every element to frame a story for maximum reader engagement
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You like to tackle problems quickly
- You'll work with leadership across departments to make us better
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.