- Full Time
Texas Monthly has an immediate opening for a managing editor to oversee its daily and monthly editorial operations. The position will have oversight over calendars, budgets, deadlines, and the collective mechanisms that define an editorial workflow, as well as a crackerjack team of copyeditors and fact checkers. The managing editor reports to and works closely with the editor in chief, both to run the magazine and brand day-to-day, and to institute needed changes. The M.E. also works closely with the digital managing editor to ensure that editorial content across all platforms is produced with efficiency, integrity, accuracy, and deftness. Grace and collegiality under pressure are paramount requirements for this job, as are an affinity for storytelling and a fondness for all things Texas.
Are you compulsively organized? Can you efficiently prioritize and handle dozens of tasks coming at you? Are you good at strategizing? Can you manage up, down and sideways, so that you know what calls are yours to make and which ones require collaboration, delegation and escalation? If you answered yes to these questions, please read on.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Setting deadlines and enforcing adherence to them
- Exerting a strong, steady organizational force on a sprawling and creative editorial operation that spans the website, print magazine, live events, podcasts, videos, etc.
- Tracking copy and personnel, during all stages in the course of content creation
- Managing the department’s budget and serving as liaison to the accounting team
- Overseeing administrative matters and supervising our editorial assistant
- Amending and reshaping editorial workflows and processes when necessary
- Overseeing a team of copyeditors and fact checkers
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Ability to rapidly sift through possibilities, surface the most plausible ones, set an order of operations, then direct a team to see that sequence through to completion
- Ability to exert influence through setting of expectations, friendly nudging, direct hounding, appeals to goodness and justice, and [insert here your secret way of making stuff happen]
- Team play. You should delight in the success of the team and your teammates
- Three to five years’ editorial experience, in print and web, preferred
- Organization. You must be supremely well organized and able to help others become so.
- Solid knowledge of WordPress, Slack, and the Adobe and Google suites of products
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, we encourage you to apply. Please email a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.