(Associate) Art Director - Penguin Workshop, Preschool
Posted: 6/20/2019 | Expires: 7/20/2019
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Planning & Strategy
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Penguin Workshop is looking for an Art Director or an Associate Art Director with a passion for board books and young picture books. In this role, you will develop and oversee all art and design aspects of the Preschool Workshop publishing program. Working in partnership with the Publishing Director on every project from conception through to completion, the ideal candidate will appreciate the importance of and find value in the preschool category.
If you’re looking for a unique opportunity to create elegant and empowering books for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, then this is the perfect position for you!
* Art directing and designing every book interior and package on the Preschool Workshop list.
* Working with the Publishing Director on finding the right artist for every potential manuscript, or the right project for every artist of interest.
* Maintaining a current sense of design trends and the aesthetic zeitgeist and seeking out up-and-coming artists of interest.
* Working with Publishing Director and Production Manager to advise on book formats regarding what size, shape, material, etc. best suits each project and the market.
* Attending meetings with agents and potential collaborators in order to evaluate possible projects and opportunities.
* Attending local conferences and events as a representative of the Preschool Workshop list.
* Cultivating relationships with illustration agents in order to find new talent and acquire projects.
* Maintaining a current sense of the children’s book marketplace and determining areas of opportunity.
* Maintaining familiarity with our target audience (children aged 0-5) to understand consumer needs and preferences.
* 8-10 years of experience in the field of design in either children’s books or a child-related industry
* Knowledge of and appreciation for books in the 0-5 age group, which include board books, novelty books, and young picture books
* Ability to work collaboratively with in-house colleagues and external artists and authors
* Incredibly high standards of design and finished product
* Exceptional attention to detail
* Interest in falling down e-rabbit holes to find new talent, new sources, and new inspiration
* Fluency/full competency with the Adobe Creative Suite
* Excellent writing and communication skills
* An appreciation of humor and cleverness
* Management experience a plus, but not mandatory
* Established contacts in the industry a plus, but not mandatory
Please submit your resume and cover letter with salary requirements using our online application process. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Penguin Workshop, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.