The Penguin Publishing Group seeks a Director of Consumer Insights who can lead our efforts to be a strong reader-centric, insights-led culture with a passion for understanding consumers and connecting them to our books, authors and brands. The Director will utilize insights about readers and consumers from diverse data sources, and translate those insights into actionable business recommendations to support editorial, design, marketing, publicity and business planning within the group. This position will explain and distill data in a way that is meaningful to business needs and will allow the various departments to make publishing decisions that align with reader needs and values.
* Draw key insights from primary and syndicated research into consumers, readers, authors, genres, titles, topics, and brands.
* Build relationships throughout the teams to become an expert in the titles, categories and business initiatives throughout the group to scope projects, develop new research opportunities, and expand the impact of consumer insights at PRH.
* Deliver persuasive, insights-driven presentations to senior leadership, authors, and members of our teams including sales, marketing and publicity, publishing, and design groups.
* Support Penguin Publishing Group teams in utilizing all available internal tools to become more consumer- and reader-centric in our everyday activities.
Skills & Experience:
* Minimum 7 years of market research or consumer insights experience required.
* MBA or other relevant Master’s degree are a plus.
* Track record of developing and delivering compelling insights-driven presentations – excellent written, verbal and visual communicator.
* Expert at making data actionable, contextually relevant, and compelling - a true storyteller!
* Ability to explain and distill data in a way that is meaningful to business needs.
* In-depth knowledge of research methods, including segmentation, consumer trends, datasets, and quantitative/qualitative approaches.
* A flexible, people-person with a positive attitude
* Understanding of book publishing and the industry a plusPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.