BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Editor/Senior Editor BMC Research Notes
London, Berlin, New York, Shanghai
Closing Date: 15th July 2019
Are you a PhD-qualified candidate looking for your first editorial position? Or an editor with one or more year’s experience looking for a next step? BMC Series is looking for an in-house Editor for BMC Research Notes.
The BMC Series is a collection of community-focused, open access journals that cover all areas of science and medicine. The ethos of these journals is that editorial decisions are not based on the perceived impact or interest level of papers, but on rigorous science. BMC Research Notes
publishes scientifically valid research outputs that cannot be considered as full research or methodology articles.
Communication is a key part of this role, as you will need to build excellent and productive relationships with the external academic editors. You will also work closely with internal teams responsible for editorial support, marketing, data sharing, PR etc. You will also need to take a proactive approach to organizing your work, and through monitoring the content and performance of your journal, you will identify and implement changes to maximise both.
- Take overall responsibility for journal content, with decisions on individual manuscripts delegated as appropriate to external Associate Editors, although the Editor will also act as the handling editor on manuscripts.
- Monitor journal performance to identify areas for improvement and take action as appropriate.
- Ensure that appropriate editorial standards are upheld.
- Build excellent communications and relationships with Editorial Board Members and authors.
- Ensure that all members of the Editorial Board are fully aware of the ethos and editorial policies of the journal and the BMC series, and have all necessary training and information to perform their roles.
- Visit suitable academic institutions as appropriate to meet Editorial Board Members.
- Attend conferences to promote the journals and develop a network of contacts within relevant fields.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to PhD level (or equivalent), in a relevant field
- An interest in open access publishing
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills, able to balance short-term deadlines with long-term goals
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Willing to travel occasionally and represent BioMed Central at external events
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical, Dental and Vision
Life and AD&D
Flexible Spending Accounts
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs
for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.