- Full Time
The National Women’s Law Center seeks a talented writer and communicator to raise visibility through the written word and help make progress for women and girls. The Writer/Editor will craft and copyedit a range of multi-channel content for both internal and external use.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
The Writer/Editor will help to raise The Center’s visibility and work toward achieving gender justice through law, policy, and culture change. The range of responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Initiating ideas for increasing organizational visibility through the written word
- Working across teams to ensure consistent editorial messaging across the organization, including shaping voice and tone to be consistent with the brand refresh
- Writing op-eds, opinion pieces, and letters-to-the-editor and moving such pieces through an internal editorial pipeline; working with Press Team to strategically tailor pieces to outlets
- Writing press releases as needed across all issue and program areas
- Writing copy for social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Recruiting and managing a diverse pool of freelance writers
- Writing and editing marketing copy such as brochures and high-level web content
- Writing annual reports
- Producing other digital content as needed, including blogs and emails
- Cultivating the Law Center’s blog, including setting consistent editorial standards and soliciting and guiding content from programmatic staff
- Helping to develop the Law Center style guide under the direction of the Director of Campaign and Digital Strategies
Experience & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least three years of relevant work experience.
- Pay close attention to detail.
- Demonstrate strong analytic and critical thinking skills.
- Communicate in an engaging, passionate style even when writing about complicated policies or analysis.
- Have a knack for absorbing and distilling large amounts of often inconsistent information and conveying it in a compelling, concise, and reader-friendly way.
- Have the ability to write for different audiences and under deadline pressures.
- Enjoy working both independently and as part of team.
- Have Spanish language skills (a plus!).
A minimum salary of $56,500 will be provided to a successful candidate meeting the minimum requirements for the position.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples. Electronic submissions are preferred.
Hared copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle NW Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Application accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We strongly encourage and see application from people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcome applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
Attn: Human Resources Manager-Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
Apply for Writer/Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly