Domestic Media Relations Manager
- Full Time
The Domestic Media Relations Manager provides proactive and market-driven leadership in the creation of major communications initiatives required by Destination DC (DDC) to reach its goals and to fulfill its mission as the destination marketing organization for the nation’s capital.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include the following, but are not limited to)
- Has a robust rolodex of national travel and lifestyle domestic journalists and editors. Uses these relationships to pitch and elevate Washington, DC as a premier destination for leisure travel.
- Strategically pitch long lead and short lead opportunities aligned with DC’s cultural calendar, major events, development, hotel and restaurant openings, sports and more.
- Elevate DDC’s president and CEO locally and regionally as the leading authority on travel around DC’s calendar, including things to do seasonally, holiday travel and only-in-DC festivals and events.
- Strategically contact key journalists to discuss possible story angles, individual press trips and arrange interviews with DDC representatives.
- Foster relationships and earn coverage by meeting with journalists and editors in DC’s top 10 visitor markets. Align media efforts with DC’s top 10 visitor markets, eight visitor personas and advertising strategy.
- Create in-market media opportunities to host journalists aligned with major editorial opportunities, such as cultural or hotel openings.
- Coordinate press tours for groups and individual journalists, including obtaining transportation, accommodations, attraction passes, meals and interviews as needed. Serve as host for journalists, including during weekend press trips.
- Maximize budget by securing in-kind hosting and experiences for journalists through DDC member relationships. Demonstrate the value of hosting for members through press coverage and media connections.
- Fulfill individual journalist requests including research, fact-checking and trip planning.
- Assist in planning and participate in regular press events to highlight organization’s programs and objectives. Participate in media development missions and trade shows as needed.
- Write and edit press releases and materials, talking points, content for the quarterly journalist newsletter and DDC’s online press room.
- Maintain database of travel and lifestyle writers, freelancers, editors and related media associates based on coverage areas.
- Work collaboratively within the marketing and communications to develop editorial content as assigned.
- Liaise with DDC members, local businesses and community organizations to develop partnerships and collaborations to enhance DDC’s image.
- Manage special projects and other duties as assigned.
Experience, Competencies & Education
- Five to seven (5-7) years of public relations, journalistic or marketing experience;
- Four-year degree from an academic institution in public relations, journalism, marketing or communications required.
- Excellent oral and written skills including a command of English grammar, usage and vocabulary.
- Editorial eye and proven success garnering national media placements.
- Strong editing skills, attention to detail and proofreading.
- Travel/hospitality industry experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with social media.
- Familiarity with Cision and media training a plus.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume and work samples via the link provided.
DESTINATION DC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER