- Full Time
Marijuana Business Daily (MJBizDaily) is the oldest and fastest-growing producer of B2B news, analysis, trade shows and conferences serving executives, entrepreneurs and major investors in the $14 billion global cannabis and hemp industries. Founded in 2011, MJBizDaily has been on the Inc. 500 and 5000 lists for the past three years. Among its many offerings, the company produces the industry’s largest B2B trade show, MJBizCon, which attracted over 27,000 attendees in 2018 and has received numerous awards for its unprecedented growth.
We are currently seeking an experienced Vice President of Publishing to run the business side of our editorial offerings. In this role, you will collaborate with our talented team to drive our existing content forward, grow revenue, improve profitability and launch new editorial products and services.
You will be based in our Lakewood office (with a gym and café in the building) and receive a competitive salary, paid time off, a 401(k) with an automatic annual company contribution and health benefits. We offer a great work-life balance including a generous time-off policy and flexible work schedule. You will thrive in this fast-paced environment if you are collaborative, a team player, innovative and eager to learn one of the most rapidly growing and changing industries in the U.S.
Here at MJBizDaily we like what we do, and who we do it with.
As a senior leader on the Marijuana Business Daily team, the Vice President of Publishing works in partnership with the President and Editor-In-Chief to set and achieve the financial and business goals of the company’s content-centric products. This includes our news websites, newsletters, magazine, market research reports, subscription products, webcasts and podcasts as well as future initiatives such as video offerings and sponsored content. The position may also involve market research and other tasks tied to improving existing B2B events or launching new ones as needed, working in conjunction with the VP of Events and senior leadership.
The ideal candidate has launched, managed and grown business initiatives tied to media, editorial and content products, as well as worked across a variety of platforms including print and digital.
Ideal candidates should be:
- Media platform agnostic. We publish in print, email, electronic “flipbooks,” on the web, via social media, podcasts, apps, etc. Wherever and however the audience most wants to engage with the content, we will be there.
- Flexible with editorial formats. Our audience’s information needs range from raw financial data to polished industry sector reports. If you’ve only ever worked at companies that publish news articles, you will not be right for this job.
- A great launch manager. As the head of content product launches, you will be helping to conduct market research, define the product, set pricing and then coordinate with other departments to achieve revenue goals.
- Good at fine-tuning current products and those acquired via M&As, ranging from small tweaks to larger overhauls, so they better serve the market, match our brand and meet financials goals.
- Successful at managing bottom line responsibility for millions of dollars in revenue.
Although we do not require industry-specific experience for cannabis information feeds, we strongly prefer candidates with B2B publishing experience who understand how to invent and monetize quality editorial products. Candidates with global experience preferred. This position does require US and international travel, and it is based in the Denver metro area. Relocation expenses may be available for the right candidate. This position is part of the company’s senior management team and a key contributor to the development and implementation of MJBizDaily’s overarching publishing strategy.
Key aspects of the position include:
- Understanding the financial drivers and goals of the company and applying that to our content and publishing initiatives.
- Overseeing the entire publishing division of the company, which includes journalists, analysts and others involved in producing content.
- Serving as the ultimate internal business “owner” of all our publishing initiatives, with responsibility for meeting KPIs and strategic goals.
- Analyzing our main editorial offerings by looking at key performance indicators, from financial metrics to engagement analytics, and making changes as necessary to improve the business fundamentals. This could involve everything from spearheading a redesign to increasing the price to presenting the content in a new format popular with our audience to abandoning the product completely.
- Conducting market research to identify new content areas and offerings we should be pursuing.
- Vetting these new ideas against each other to help the company determine which are the most promising opportunities to pursue, both from financial and strategic perspectives.
- Working with the finance team to flesh out financial models and mini business plans for opportunities we are considering.
- Presenting fleshed out ideas for new products to top executives.
- Developing and retaining talent by establishing clear goals, coaching and recognition.
- Working with other departments - including sales, IT, marketing and events – to meet product goals and launch new offerings while also overseeing project development and management.
- Developing and managing project budgets and schedules (working closely with the finance department), identifying and facilitating process/resource efficiencies and ensuring all projects adhere to budget, schedule, and quality expectations.
- Fully understanding and remaining current with developments in the field and monitoring competition.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least 3-5 years in a senior publishing role (associate publisher, publisher, etc.) at a business-focused media company with responsibility for key financial metrics including revenue, expenses and bottom-line performance.
- Deep understanding of how to monetize independent, objective content produced by journalists without compromising editorial integrity.
- Experience launching at least two new revenue-generating editorial offerings, such as newsletters, subscription services or sponsored reports.
- Proven ability to examine existing editorial offerings/products and tweak, overhaul or terminate to accomplish business and financial goals.
- Oversight of successful content offerings spanning a variety of different formats, such as digital and print, video and podcasts, subscription and free.
- At least 2-3 years in a publishing-related role at a B2B trade publication specifically.
- Experience on both the business and editorial side.
- Experience at a company that produces editorial content as well as professional events.
- Understanding of both paid and sponsored content models. We are dedicated to keeping a leg in both camps, including paid content – ranging from paywalls and memberships to one-off book sales – and advertiser-supported content such as controlled circulation magazines, newsletters and webcasts. However, MJBizDaily is known for editorial excellence and a strict church-and-state relationship between editorial and sponsorships. Our brand does not support advertorial models.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Travel as needed to support events and business initiatives or to conduct market research.
As seen in the WSJ, Harvard Business Review and on NPR, MJBizDaily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc, a woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer and have been listed in Inc Magazine’s fastest growing companies lists annually since 2015.