- Full Time
Big Think is hiring a digital-first associate media editor for a junior or mid-level position.
The Associate Editor will be responsible for assigning and editing a thought-provoking mix of content daily on Bigthink.com, executing a smart and always evolving SEO strategy, booking top-tier video guests, researching and preparing questions for video interviews, sending awe-inspiring newsletters, pitching ideas to boost audience engagement, and monitoring and reporting on website and social media performance, among other tasks.
Prior experience in every single area of responsibility is not necessary, but expertise and confidence in several areas—as well as tenacity and a willingness to learn—will set strong candidates apart. When you apply, please list which responsibilities (bulleted below) you feel most confident in. Applications that do not will not be considered.
The Associate Editor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assign stories to a remote team of content creators with the help of tools like Crowdtangle, SEMRush, etc.
- Edit stories for quality/length using a content management system and our in-house style guide.
- Develop/execute SEO strategy in coordination with Managing Editor/freelance contributors.
- Write killer headlines, engaging social media packages for video/article content + publish to social media.
- Use MailChimp to create/send newsletters to free and paying audiences + strategize about engagement with Managing Editor.
- Pitch/book top-tier guests for video interviews, maintaining a positive attitude with their reps, assist video producers with interview questions.
- Market Big Think’s subscription product using newsletters, social media, Google Ad Words, etc.
- Pitch sponsored content series and help meet client benchmarks.
- Report on site performance using Google Analytics and in-house tools.
- Use Photoshop to create engaging and visually styled images.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 3-5 years experience at a digital-first media organization.
- Meet deadlines, work on multiple projects at once, and prioritize effectively.
- A four-year undergraduate college degree in a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Incredible attention to detail across all responsibilities.
- Responsible and able to work well as a team member as well as independently.
This is a full-time position based in New York City (Manhattan). Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, dental, vision, and 401k.
Big Think is a leading global knowledge forum with elegantly filmed and curated videos of the world’s top thinkers, sharing their biggest and most actionable ideas. We reach over 50 million people every month with our video and article content on our own website and across social media platforms.
A passion for ideas and a broad interest in the world—including science/technology, design/architecture, global development, entertainment/arts—are big pluses. Alignment with Big Think’s mission—to help people and organizations get smarter faster for success in the 21st-century knowledge economy—is key. You can feel good about the kind of content you put out into the world at Big Think. We hope you’ll consider working with us!
Our small staff is a close-knit group of people who love to learn. Our Union Square office supplies snacks, is right beside a beautiful farmer’s market 3 days a week, and we have the brightest minds in the world coming up the elevator on a regular basis.
Big Think is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity. We encourage applicants of any background to apply.