- Full Time
Pageant Media leading hedge fund brand HFM is seeking a bright and ambitious journalist to cover performance and markets trends in the US industry for its Americas title, Absolute Return.
Working in our new midtown Manhattan office, the ideal candidate will have a keen news sense and desire to shed light on the biggest trades and market moves in the dynamic and fast-moving hedge fund industry. We are looking for a bright and confident self-starter who keeps their ear to the ground by meeting contacts or working the phone rather than scrolling Twitter or waiting for press releases. Ideally the successful candidate will also have a nose for numbers and be able to fashion stories from data in this complex but fascinating industry. Applicants should have at least one year of journalism experience, preferably with business or finance publications, and display the hunger and drive required to be successful in this role.
Absolute Return has reported on the ups and downs of US hedge funds since 2003, breaking stories and spotting trends that are often later picked up by mainstream outlets, and its widely-respected surveys include the biannual Billion Dollar Club ranking of hedge funds. This would be an ideal role for a talented journalism school grad or a second-jobber looking to make the next step. There is ample scope for career growth with Pageant Media, an energetic company which has seen continued growth in subscriptions to its hedge fund titles. The company recently moved into a new contemporary office in Madison Avenue, offering exceptional light and city views.
• Write daily news articles and regularly break off-diary stories, harvested from sources or data.
• Understand and explore the market shifts and key trades in various hedge fund strategies.
• Build and maintain a contact book of senior professionals in the US hedge fund industry.
• Moderate industry panel discussions where required and help colleagues on HFM's range of briefings, conferences and summits around the world.
• At least one year of journalism experience, preferably with another business or finance publication, or an exceptional academic background.
• Strong communication, organisational and time management skills.
• A journalism degree and/or professional training preferable, but not essential.
• An interest in and some knowledge of the hedge fund industry would also be advantageous.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical insurance
- Pre-tax travel benefits
- Matched 401K scheme
- 24 vacation days plus your birthday off
- Free breakfast provided
- Life insurance
- Social Events throughout the year
- Independent Company with established brands
- Over 200 staff globally
- Office locations in London, New York & Hong Kong